Bantam Coop?s

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mylilchix, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We've just entered the wonderful world of bantams. We have 2, 12 week old Pekins and 2, 1 week old silkies. I'm also planning on getting a sebright soon, too. [​IMG]

I'm planning on buying this playhouse and turning it into a bantam coop. http://denver.craigslist.org/tag/1053301491.html The house is 4'x6'. How many bantams can I comfortably keep in it? How many nest boxes would work, and how high do I construct the roosts?

So far we've just had standard breeds, so I want to make sure this will be the perfect place for our new banties!!

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    12 would be very comfortable in a 6x4 coop. 3 nest boxes will be enough, and 2 to 4 feet off the floor is what I usually go with on my roosts.

3. mylilchix

Thanks for the help. We love our new babies and can't wait to get more!!! I want to make sure we have room for extras.

Sonja

4. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Youre welcome. A good rule of thumb for bantams is 2 sq ft per bird in a coop. [​IMG]

5. mylilchix

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. We'll start out with 5, and i know we'll add more. Plus our Pekins are a hen and roo, so I'm hoping for babies at some point!![​IMG]

Sonja

6. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yeah you always add more wether you plan on it or not. [​IMG]

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wow nice deal! Cute playhouse and cheap!

8. mylilchix

That's what I thought. I couldn't build something like that for that price. I'll put in a new window and door, but my costs are minimum. Woohoo!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by