1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam ID Assistance

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Widget, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Okay. I need help with the breeds on three of my bantams. Figured I would ask the experts. They were from the Ideal Bantam Special last October. So they are 12 weeks old. Certainly ready to go out into the outdoor world but would get buried in the snow so they get to stay in the basement for a bit longer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've figured out this one is a roo but that's it. He is still half the size of the other bantams. Lots of personality. I know I have a couple silkies and cochins who are the same age (three months) for a size comparison.

[​IMG]
    Pullet? Unknown breed. Again three months old.

[​IMG]
    Pullet? Unknown breed. Also three months old.

[​IMG]
    Great Pyrenees. Female. Couch Potato? Sorry she made me post her picture too. [​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    old english game crele, old english game birchen, jubilee indian game.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Old English Game Bantams-
    Crele,
    Birchen,
    Looks to be a bad Pyle colored Cornish bantam

Chris

4. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    I would say...

First one is a Crele Old English
    Second One is a Gray Japanese, just not a great one. I think it looks like she has yellow feet.
    Third One... is a poor White Laced Red Cornish Bantam. I ordered 25 of those from Ideal last year and I ended up with about 8 like that one.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I would say OEGB for the first one but really looks like the Barred ones I'm raising now. The second one is a Gray Japanese - I have one in the flock now but she has more white/gray around her neck. No idea about the last one.

6. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Thanks for the input. At least everyone agrees that the roo is OEG. He is my favorite of the bunch. Don't know why since he is the one that constantly found a way to get out of the brooder. Hasn't done it in a couple weeks so I guess he figured out that the food and water are on the inside. And a way too curious cat is sometimes on the outside. Can't wait to see what he does when he finally goes out to the coop.

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:It is old english game crele;
    old english game birchen, but its tail carriage is a bit high, making it look almost likea long tailed Japanese;
    jubilee indian game is a British term for Red laced Cornish. However, its lacing is not good. Would be diqualified at a show. But as a pet you should enjoy them.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am not able to look at what Ideal has on their site. I thought OEG with the first two picture, the little black pullet-I don't know and won't pretend. The third one I have to agree with karabittry, it looks like a poor colored WLRCornish. I know they carry those at Ideal. It has a very typical Cornish body and posture.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by