bantam maran not laying at 10months

chooketychook

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Shropshire
Hi is it some what normal for a bantam maran to not be laying at ten months? I ask because im going to buy one from a breeder or hobbiest on sunday but she has said shes not laying but is 10months old =\

PLEASE someone? The lady said she was laying and then stopped when she mixed the flock,would you risk introducing a non laying chicken with your flock,could there be some seriously bad reason? Is there a chance she will never lay?

Bantams tend to be streaky layers anyhow since they often go broody, and anything that upsets them, like mixing a flock can very well stop them laying for awhile. Marans aren't the best layers anyhow. She should start laying again, but who knows when. There definitely could be bad reasons why she is not laying in that she could be internally laying or otherwise sick somehow, but most probably, she is just being a finicky bantam and decided not to lay until she wants to. Is there some reason you want this particular bird if you are unsure about her health? If you are uncertain if she is well, I would be really careful to keep her quarantined away from your others for a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the reply,I really wanted her as she is the only bantam maran for miles away there sooo difficult to find here,ive searched the internet for non laying chicken at 10 months and spoke to a farmer he said that cant be good he wouldnt purchase her :-( ive already had a chicken that had a disease and wiped out my original flock im new and didnt know it was so easy for them to get sick and die in a matter of hours! I think ill just give her a miss just incase and fingers crossed someday I can find a healthy one,thank you for replying

Ya, if you've had bad luck in the past, I would be inclined to pass on this bird also for now. You might keep in touch or check back with the owner in a couple of months and if she still has it, see if the bird has started laying again. Neither bantams or marans are that good of layers, so I wouldn't expect her to lay a lot, but I don't like buying a laying hen of laying age that isn't laying if you know what I mean. You mean quarantined? Keeping her separate from the birds you already have for a couple of weeks to be sure she isn't sick. If she is sick that way she won't infect the birds you already have. It is always a good idea to keep any new birds apart from from your home birds for awhile, no matter where they came from or their age.

quar·an·tine (kwôrn-tn, kwr-)
n.
a. A period of time during which a vehicle, person, or material suspected of carrying a contagious disease is detained at a port of entry under enforced isolation to prevent disease from entering a country.
b. A place for such detention.
2. Enforced isolation or restriction of free movement imposed to prevent the spread of contagious disease.
3. A condition of enforced isolation.
4. A period of 40 days.
tr.v. quar·an·tined, quar·an·tin·ing, quar·an·tines
1. To isolate in or as if in quarantine.
2. To isolate politically or economically.
You guys even had The Quarantine Act of 1710 for the plague :)

Ahhh thank you so much for breaking it down a teaching me,I now have a new word to throw at my hubby =D
I managed to get hold of 3 beautiful wide eyed healthy pullets a 2 hour drive away! I have them Quarantind =P they look so bored poor girls,but this was from a nice family business farm which was all organised and the owner was knowledgable on the breed which made me feel confident,He also agreed he wouldnt take a non laying,laying hen and said there are too many reasons she may not be laying...another lesson learned I guess,thank you so much for teaching me,may god bless you x

Back
Top Bottom