Bantam mixed bag (update with pics)

Snozzle

Songster
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Tri-Cities Tennessee
I couldn't resist the call of the TSC bantam bin. Not sure what I got here, but they are all adorable. Any ideas what these guys are? I don't know my breeds very well, so your guess is probably better then mine.

Chick 1
I wanna say OEG of some sort, clean dark legs. He is tiny, half the size of the others

Chick 2
No clue here, also has clean dark legs, body looks a lot different though then number 1.

Chick 3
Same as above, clean dark legs. He was a wiggler so I didn't get a good face pic

Chick 4
Feather footed, 4 toes and he wanted nothing to do with the camera. D'uccle possibly? Though not much of a beard or muffs.

Chick 5
Feather footed, 4 toes, various shades of reddish cream all over, darker beak. Very curious. Cochin maybe?

Chick 6
Feather footed, 4 toes, very poofy face. Very curious. My first thought was faverolles, but then I counted the toes. D'uccle maybe?

Update 4/1/12

Ok so I posted new pics on here a little while back later in the thread. You were almost all right on with the guesses
1. OEG
2. Golden Sebright
3. Quail D'Anver
4. It wasn't a buff brahma or cochin, turns out this little guy is a mille fleur D'Uccle, at least I'm pretty sure he is. It finally sank in when I was watching them play outside today.
5.Big poofy buff Cochin
6. This one is still pretty mysterious, but I want to say white D'Uccle.

Here are the 2 oddballs of the bunch

Now the question is, hen or roo? Their personalities don't match their appearances at all. The big combs act shy and the little combs are sparring and are so nosey they get and curious that they have already scared my adult rooster lol
I do have an odd bunch here

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds right on after comparing some pics. May be a Sebright on number 2, his little feathers are just barely out, hard to tell what color they are, but there is black and gold bits that I can see. As for number 6, do cochins look like they have beards and muffs as chicks? Hard to see in the pics, I may have to take one from another angle, but this guy has a poofier face then my silkies and ameraucanas combined when they hatched. His cheeks are almost in his eyes, I already thought about trimming them back so he doesn't get an eye infection.

#6 is a stumper alright. I would vote hatchery quality Faverolles, as the hatcheries often lose the extra toes with their breeding programs (good extra toes are HARD to breed for). D'Uccles offered by hatcheries are almost always mille fluer, and that chick is not the right color at all for that.

PS: baby Faverolles do have problems with their fluff getting into their eyes. You can always use petroleum jelly to slick back their muff. They'll look like they're trying out for a role in a Grease play, but it works.

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds right on after comparing some pics. May be a Sebright on number 2, his little feathers are just barely out, hard to tell what color they are, but there is black and gold bits that I can see. As for number 6, do cochins look like they have beards and muffs as chicks? Hard to see in the pics, I may have to take one from another angle, but this guy has a poofier face then my silkies and ameraucanas combined when they hatched. His cheeks are almost in his eyes, I already thought about trimming them back so he doesn't get an eye infection.

oh i didnt notice that. it could be a favorelles. does it have 5 toes?? If not then it coukd just be extra fluff or as another poster said hatchery quality

I have 7 silkies and 2 of them only have 4 toes while their sibling has 5, so I didn't dismiss the faverolles yet, but it now looks like all the feathers that are coming in are completely white. I took a pic with my cell this morning, kinda blurry, but it shows the cheeks better.

frow.gif
Chick number one is a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam Hen. I raise BB Reds so there is no doubt in my mind that little girl is a BB Red.Chick 2 looks like a Golden SeBright to me. Welcome to the addiction of Bantam chicken farming and being owned by the beautiful little stinkers!

frow.gif
Chick number one is a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam Hen. I raise BB Reds so there is no doubt in my mind that little girl is a BB Red.Chick 2 looks like a Golden SeBright to me. Welcome to the addiction of Bantam chicken farming and being owned by the beautiful little stinkers!

Woohoo, I was hoping for an oeg bantam. How can you tell this early on that it is a hen?
She will fit in wonderfully with my little dutch game bantam group.

Back
Top Bottom