Bantam polish...humped back with tail down and wings out.

Krysea79

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
Hello everyone! My favorite hen was acting sick tonight when. I let her out. I am not sure what to do. I gave her a bath which she seemed to like (rolled on her side and drank some water) she is now inside. Crop felt small and can not feel any egg. Answering questionnaire below. Any help is so appreciated!!!

What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Bantam polish hen 2 years. Healthy weight and has always seemed healthy.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Tail is drooping...wings are also down. She is refusing to eat anything even treats.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I did not notice anything odd this morning and she was fine last night. First I noticed was around 5 tonight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

She sleeps alone in our other coop (we have two omlet cubes. 12 bantam go in one coop and she usually sleeps alone or with one or two that might join her). It was colder (south Florida) last night maybe 48-52 degrees. I usually put her in with the others when it is cold but I forgot last night.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

They are on layer feed but also get some scratch. They have grit mixed with their food. They get some sunflower seeds and meal worms almost every day as well. Oyster shell is in coop but they kicked dirt all over it and I need to replace.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

She pooped a small amount in the bath and it looked a little runny. Will check for droppings tomorrow now that she is isolated.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Bath and she has scrambled egg available and water with vitamins in it available. Set her up inside tonight.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I have a vet appointment tomorrow if she makes it.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

None but will add picture tomorrow.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Omlet cubes coop with shavings underneath cleaned at least 1x a week.

Can you post a photo of her?

Give her a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in. This will raise her glucose and balance her electrolytes. Sometimes this is all it takes to revive a chicken that has suddenly gone sick. The calcium citrate tablet that @SmiYa0126 suggested is also a very good idea.

Hi! I would pop half a calcium citrate pill into her, see if that perks her up. Also offer her raw yolk, see if she'll eat some. When was the last time she laid an egg?
Thank you! I will go buy that in the morning!

I am not sure when she last laid. We have 13 hens and 2 nesting boxes. I can't tell the difference between the polish eggs.

Can you post a photo of her?

Give her a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in. This will raise her glucose and balance her electrolytes. Sometimes this is all it takes to revive a chicken that has suddenly gone sick. The calcium citrate tablet that @SmiYa0126 suggested is also a very good idea.
Thank you! I have added that to the water. She was sleeping I think when I tried to pull her out for a picture. She didn't want off my hand but when I finally got her on the ground she just laid down. Her back is very scrunched up and her tail is down. She did poop but it doesn't look healthy. I have attached some pics.

Attachments

• PXL_20230214_020515879.jpg
    PXL_20230214_020515879.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230214_020523248.jpg
    PXL_20230214_020523248.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230214_020508676.jpg
    PXL_20230214_020508676.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 15
This is not normal. It appears she's dying. Can she drink on her own? Did she drink the sugar water? If she can't drink on her own, I suggest you try to syringe the sugar water into her crop tonight or she may not live until morning.

To safely syringe fluids, do it from her right side as this photo shows. Try to get at least a fourth of a cup of the water into her. If she is conscious, slip the calcium pill into her beak and let her swallow. If this is being caused by a stuck egg, the calcium may save her life.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Thank you for all of your help. She made it through the night last night and to the vet this morning where they are going to keep her until the vet can examine her. Vet tech examined her quick while I was there and did not feel any egg (so most likely not egg bound as I did not feel anything as well). He did notice that her crop felt full though it felt mostly empty to me last night. I did provide her with scrambled eggs with some minced shell and cayanne pepper. I thought maybe she ate some last night as it looked pecked at but normally she would have downed the whole egg as fast as she could. She is still exhibiting the tail down back scrunched up posture as well as increased respiration when handled. Hopefully I will get answers soon.

Thank you for all of your help. She made it through the night last night and to the vet this morning where they are going to keep her until the vet can examine her. Vet tech examined her quick while I was there and did not feel any egg (so most likely not egg bound as I did not feel anything as well). He did notice that her crop felt full though it felt mostly empty to me last night. I did provide her with scrambled eggs with some minced shell and cayanne pepper. I thought maybe she ate some last night as it looked pecked at but normally she would have downed the whole egg as fast as she could. She is still exhibiting the tail down back scrunched up posture as well as increased respiration when handled. Hopefully I will get answers soon.
I had a hen with labored breathing, do you have fish mox? It saved my girl.

Thank you everyone. I don't have any fish mox but I will look into that. I am hoping we get a diagnosis. The increase respiration I only noticed when she was being handled. I will keep you guys informed when I hear from the vet.

Back
Top Bottom