Bantam rooster issues in a mixed flock

Sep 10, 2021
Ohio
I have a Black Frizzle Cochin rooster that shares a flock with a Dark Brahma rooster. Because he's a Bantam he has trouble mating with my standard hens. My problem is since he's little the standard size hens are not squatting down for him so he grabs them by the head and tries to force them to squat. Most do not comply except for the Bantams hens. He pulls out feathers everytime he tries to mate with them. This feather pulling has caused my White Cochin (standard) to have a bare neck and head as she is quite low key and he apparently likes her.
How can I stop this behavior? I get after him often due to his tactics to no avail. I really don't want to get rid of him either he's a good rooster otherwise.
20230615_100024_resized.jpg
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Can you get him his own women and area?
I have gotten him three more Silkies, but they are only two weeks old. He currently has a few bantam ladies a Mottled Cochin, and two Blue sexlink Easter Eggers. They seem to be able to stay away from him. The one he loves is a White Cochin and she is so sweet and quiet. He chases her all over the yard. She can't seem to get away from him.
Does any of this have to do with him sharing his flock with my Dark Brahma Rooster? Or is it just he's in love with the WC? He can't take no for an answer as she's screaming and running away.
He will prance around and call to them that he's found a treat and they've now learned he's just going to jump on whoever comes close.

I have gotten him three more Silkies, but they are only two weeks old. He currently has a few bantam ladies a Mottled Cochin, and two Blue sexlink Easter Eggers. They seem to be able to stay away from him. The one he loves is a White Cochin and she is so sweet and quiet. He chases her all over the yard. She can't seem to get away from him.
Does any of this have to do with him sharing his flock with my Dark Brahma Rooster? Or is it just he's in love with the WC? He can't take no for an answer as she's screaming and running away.
He will prance around and call to them that he's found a treat and they've now learned he's just going to jump on whoever comes close.
Maybe seperate him until he calms down

Maybe seperate him until he calms down
Will he calm down? 🤔
I let everyone free range on about 5 acres. I wish he'd mess with my older hens, but he's too smart for that. He knows they would put him in his place. Does him sharing the flock with my Brahma Rooster have anything to do with it? He plays 2nd fiddle to the girls, but he never challenges my Brahma. My Brahma was raised with my older girls (2 years old) and he was raised with my younger girls (1 year old). Just wondering?

Will he calm down? 🤔
I let everyone free range on about 5 acres. I wish he'd mess with my older hens, but he's too smart for that. He knows they would put him in his place. Does him sharing the flock with my Brahma Rooster have anything to do with it? He plays 2nd fiddle to the girls, but he never challenges my Brahma. My Brahma was raised with my older girls (2 years old) and he was raised with my younger girls (1 year old). Just wondering?
I can't say. Though, maybe you need to completely seperate him with the bantam ladies

I agree with @Mrs. K . Sometimes mix sized flocks don't work. I hoped my aseel rooster would be able to mount my Tsouloufati hens safety, but it just didn't happen. Doesn't mean it can't, for me it didn't. The same applies to you it seems, though in reverse. Your LF hens just don't want to squat for the bantam. Separate the bantams and the LF birds both you and them will be happier

Back
Top Bottom