Bantam Rooster making Strange Head Motion While Drinking

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hello!
Well today I got home from school and immediately went to go see the chickens. I was watching them eat and drink when I noticed my rooster doing something strange. He goes to take a drink, and then when he looks up to swallow, he jolts his neck and lowers it. I've never had ANY problems with illness in my flock. No wry neck, no nothing. We did get a new hen in August but if she brought some kind of illness wouldn't they've gotten it earlier? He seems fine otherwise. We have a small flock of 4 hens and 2 roosters. He could've gotten in a fight with the other rooster... but he's on the top and the other rooster usually just shy's away, and they are separated during the day anyway. I'm going to keep an eye on him and I'll let you know if anything happens.
Any ideas? I'm trying to upload a video right now but I thought I'd go a head and post this to get some ideas going.

0.jpg

Last edited:
I think I see the same thing happening with my chicks. When they are eating their pellets sometimes they will scrunch up their neck, raise it high, then lower it down. I think it has to do with how much they are eating. Does your rooster's behavior look similar to this:
She scrunches up her neck a couple of times in the beginning but the clearer one is when she is drinking from the water bowl.

Last edited:
I think I see the same thing happening with my chicks. When they are eating their pellets sometimes they will scrunch up their neck, raise it high, then lower it down. I think it has to do with how much they are eating. Does your rooster's behavior look similar to this:
She scrunches up her neck a couple of times in the beginning but the clearer one is when she is drinking from the water bowl.
I know what you're talking about without even watching that video. I've see my chickens do that when they're trying to swallow a lot of food at a time. That's not what he's doing. I'm posting the video right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom