Bantam thread(including polish and silkies)

Pics
There is never a for sure chance that you will get chickens that like affection. Most of them do not because they are prey animals-while they understand humans feed them, they still have to be wary because that is their instinct. After all, humans are huge compared to them and we make quick and scary movements, plus we are rather loud. I have noticed bantams can either be afraid of you or love you, there seems to be not much of an in-between . . . I have heard that bantams tend to be more flighty than large fowl around humans because they are smaller and therefore humans appear bigger and more of a threat to them. Chicks are usually super sweet and dependent when they are young and grow out of it quickly. However, you will find some that simply just love humans, such as my Rhode Island Red Bantam, Ruby. She loves humans more than her own flock, and she even has her own harness, leash and diaper that I put on her to take her places. Overall, you are not doing anything wrong with your chickens and they just don't have the personality you were looking for, which can be disappointing. I hope you can find friendly bantams!
Thank you so much! And I hope I can find some too. 🙏

I have 4 silkies, and 10 frizzles, not including 4 mystery chicks. Come to think of it they are all kinda of weary of me but one of the silkies tried to approach me. I hold and pet them all, also feed them lots of treats!
Bantams are the best! Can you post pictures of your mystery chicks? That is fine if not but I want to see if I can figure out what they are!

Bantams are the best! Can you post pictures of your mystery chicks? That is fine if not but I want to see if I can figure out what they are!
Of course! We bought 18 eggs from a lady who had bantams but the mystery chicks are bigger than the bantams so they are probably some kind of full sized chickens. I will go get pictures.

It could have been hatchery quality, or some other kind of quality. Were their tails short and round like Cochins? I know they wouldn't be Cochins, but I am just giving an example of tail type.

It could have been hatchery quality, or some other kind of quality. Were their tails short and round like Cochins? I know they wouldn't be Cochins, but I am just giving an example of tail type.
Not hatchery quality. Tails were more like Cochins.

This is her bigger bird breeds:
2379B12C-0EE2-48A0-9B8F-84CF3D5B10FB.jpeg
and her smaller birds I think are frizzles and silkies. So here are the 4 mystery chicks! Also the eggs they hatched from were light brown. If you want a picture I can show you but point being it isn’t from an Easter egger.

1:
41760A07-337C-40FD-BD92-12CC0866DC8C.jpeg
2:
8B55801F-361F-4733-A6B0-2515A0CF9BE1.jpeg
3:
DAB27732-A3E1-41FC-A5F6-BA39FD901270.jpeg

And 4! (My favorite)
575C0F54-44D2-45A4-93B7-CA566039F49F.jpeg
plus here is everyone together!
E279CE69-CE11-4469-982E-C6E161D8B38F.jpeg

I just started raising bantams, after hearing such wonderful things about them I just had to. But lately I’ve been so discouraged! No matter how much I mess with our chicks they just won’t be nice. 4 of them are 3 weeks old now and still don’t like me. I wanted these as more of pets and I’m trying so hard. Is there still hope? Maybe I have to many right now? I was hoping y’all might be able to share some advice.
My girls were not friendly till they were twenty weeks old. Spend lots of time with them.

Back
Top Bottom