bantams and tempratures

chickensgalore

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
hillsdale,michigan
i'm getting into bantams soon and was wondering what is too cold for a bantam. living in southern michigan i keep a heat lamp in with the big girls if it gets really cold and it seems to keep them laying,but will the bantams be ok without heat.they'll have a small coop its about 16x30 and i'm thinking about getting 2 hens and a roo,will they snuggle enough when it gets below freezing?

Quote:
I don't know, but I'll send you back to the top!
big_smile.png

I'm actually interested in this question as well, because when I first read it my only thought was "I sure hope so, I have three of them in my coop right now" (in south central MN). I would think that since they huddle together on the floor instead of roosting that they would do okay, esp. the feathered leg varieties (as I have- a silkie and two frizzles) as long as there are no floor level drafts.

Someone else interested in the question! I'm not TOO terribly worried about my main flock of bantams as they all huddle together, silkies and hard-feathered birds, and keep each other warm. But I have 3 Modern Game bantams on quarantine right now and I'm wondering if in a couple months I should move a couple "expendable" birds in with them to keep them warm. Of course, I'm in Virginia so I'm not dealing with the temps some people are -- we're just looking at upper teens to 20s at night and highs in the 30s and 40s during the day during the worst of winter.

Depends on the size of the bantam, and also the feathering. Some breeds were NOT meant to be in cold weather, like Seramas - they shouldn't be outside without supplemental heat if the temps drop below about 40F. On the other hand, I have never supplemented heat to my bantam Faverolles or Ameraucanas. I just have to vaseline the combs of the Fav boys if it gets too far below freezing, and they get super warm drinking water at least twice a day if it's cold enough for their water to freeze. A couple years ago we had below freezing temps for several days in a row, and I ended up putting a heat lamp in the same corner as the waterers in most of my coops just to help combat the frozen water...

Back
Top Bottom