1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantom with pale comb/head for 1 month

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eBird, Feb 8, 2016.

1. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hello and thank you for reading my post.

One of my one year old bantoms – perhaps a Mille Fleur d'Uccle (I am not sure due to adoption) – has had a very pale head and comb for the past month. Additionally, while she was top chicken a month ago, she is now skittish, gets pecked on, and refuses to be picked up.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with her eating patterns and bowel movements as my family has had to take care of my chickens during my long absence.

I wonder if anyone has some advice – supplements I might try etc. I would like to avoid taking her to the vet due to financial constraints, but also want to be sure she is well!

Thank you for any insights!

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    could she be molting because their usual red will turn lighter during molting.

3. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I wish she was molting and that was the answer.

I do not want to get ahead of myself, but is lymphoid leukosis common? The timing (nearing the age of maturity) and symptoms (pale comb) align.

I will see my chicken this weekend and look for the other symptoms: loss of appetite, diarrhea, weakness, enlarged kidney/enlarged abdomen.

Any other advice welcomed!

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I haven't heard of that one but keep bumping this thread and maybe one of the other more experienced people will chime in, like eggcesive or cartspony

5. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Wanted to make another call out for advice. Pale comb advice? What might I look for or try?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by