Banty Roo and regular hen???

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
is it even feasable that her eggs will be fertile with a banty roo???
she's not laying yet, and i haven't seen him try to breed with any of his girls yet... there are 4 banty hens and Isabella in the coop....

and on the subject of size and breeding...
i was told that it's dangerous to have a full size rooster breed the bantie hens... is that true?? i keep my banties in a closed in area and my regular chickens free range all day.. i feel bad that the banties are cooped up.. lol..all day long.. but i'm worried about what i was told... and my roo goes after Isabella like a mad man the minute he sees her out of that coop... not sure if he's trying to mate her or challenge her to a fight... looks more fight than mate to me because he doesn't run after his regular girls this way....

I am new to chickens but all my roos are bantums and all my hens are regular chickens I am getting fertalized eggs about 6 out 10 are fetile (crack them to eat) I am not going to try and hatch them beucase I have no clue if breeding a bantroo and regular hen is ok but I do know it is possible for them to breed cause they are doing it.

yes!! banty roo's CAN get your full sized hen's to become fertile. I have a one year old banty D'uccle rooster. When all my standards go out to free range with my banty hen's...usually the big girls give my banty girls quite the pecking order re-fresher. But oh boy!!! wait untill my banty rooster Ceaser turns the corner and watch out!!! He will not stop till he does his little dance for my 5 standard hens and mount's them all! lol

We've hatched some chicks that way. They are almost always standard or only slightly smaller than standard. It came as a surprise at first. I thought the bantams couldn't reach to actually do their job. (A mechanics issue, since they still grab a standard hen behind her neck the same as they do with the bantam hens.)

Our first standard rooster is actually the son of our bantam hen and whatever standard rooster the neighbors had last year when she escaped. We set his egg by chance.

bantams can be w/ reg chickens... mine are and are absolutally fine... now they r 2 yrs old[

Back
Top Bottom