banty + standard?

Flock Runner

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2011
does anyone know if a standard sized chicken can breed a bantom? does it matter which is the roo? i have an aracauna standard sized roo and a hudan roo and a silver sebret hen. i have other hens of course but would the sebret hatch eggs and would the roos hurt her while breeding? if its dangerous for her than what are my options other than getting rid of my roos? in her coop she has a special spot i built for her that only she can fit into so if she were to really need to she could go in there.
idunno.gif

yes, it can happen and yes she can be injured.

What is more hilarious is watching a banty roo try to get the deed done with a standard hen.
lau.gif

I have a little Silver Sebright hen in my flock and Alice is QUICK! She usually manages to get away from the big boys in the flock. Then again, she can fly. Unlike Little Bit and Grace, who are bantam dark Brahama and bantam Orpington - they get tagged by the larger roos all the time.

I also have two Silver Sebright roosters (Alex and George) and they mount any hen they can, regardless of their sizes. However, I gave some of Alice's eggs to a friend, who incubated and hatched 'em. It appears George and Alex aren't the only boys making time with her, because the chicks had feathered legs and feet.... I suspect one of the bantam Cochin boys, Nugget and Frick, or maybe Charlie the bantam Buff Brahma could be the babies' daddy. Or daddies.

Bantam Brahmas and Cochins are still much larger than Sebrights.

ep.gif
OMG! my banty layed an egg! now i'm not sure if it will hatch. shes pretty broody so if its fertalized i'm getting a baby. shes been isolated for the winter for about a week though and this is her first egg. i've seen my aracauna roo try to get her before so what do you all think? this happened only a little while ago so i didn't know about it before the op so i geuss its a lucky coinsidence! :D

It was my understanding that any hen could be injured during mating. If memory serves me correct I was told that the chick will only be as big as it's egg, so bantam hens will only have bantie babies.

I have two bantam roos and they've been mating with my big girls :) I'm so hoping a hen goes broody.

yes, it can happen and yes she can be injured.

What is more hilarious is watching a banty roo try to get the deed done with a standard hen. :lau

You think that is funny, you should see. Bantam roo do the deed with a 17 week old CX. If the girls didn't want them to complete deed the would just lower their heads and the roo would just slide.over their heads and stand up and crow as if they were saying " What are you laughing at, I meant to do that." Yes the egg hatched and I now have a D'Uccle / CX mix.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom