Barbed wire

Jessica89

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
North Wales
Hey guys,
I have just ordered a roll of barbed wire and going to put it on the top and bottom of the fence.
Has anyone used this and have they found it successful?
Thanks

No experience using barbed wire, but would make sure it is not accessible even accidentally to your flock…..wouldn't want them getting cut.

As long as your chickens don't or cannot fly to the top then it should be ok. If you are adding to a perimeter fence, could but along bottom outside of the fence?

Yes,I think that's what I will do.
I only have four fat ducks that can't fly so it will be okay.
I am going to get some Silkie chickens in the spring though.
I can't wait! :)

What is the purpose of the barbed wire?

I believe it's usually used to keep large livestock in, might help deter predators but probably not much.

Yeah, my uncle who is a farmer uses i t to stop cows eating the other side of the grass.
Surely, it would defer a fox? I am hoping so anyway.
Worth a try. I wouldn't like to land on barbed wire if i was a fox. Haha

It helps keep cattle, horses, or other large livestock from reaching over or under a fence because they lead with their noses which have no hair on them, and - especially in the warmer months while they are on pasture - their hair is short so they will feel the barbs. I don't think it will be very effective at all on a thicker, long-haired animal like a fox or coyote. In my opinion, you'd be better off using electric fencing.

Back
Top Bottom