Bare spots on two hens

tygab

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
MA/NH border
Today the girls got to go outside the run. They were delighted as it was the first time in a while.

While out and observing, I noticed that two of them have bare areas, right near the base of the tail on the back. Is this

a) Rooster favoritism?
or
b) pecking due to inside and boredom after many days of snow/wind/rain

Should I blu-kote them tomorrow, or just watch it? Both girls can cover most of the area with their wings but one is certainly a bit worse off than the other. I did not observe any other affected areas, or any other affected hens.

How long until the feathers come back, if they don't get further bothered?

Thanks!

good question I have several birds that have bald spots on there rear but they have had them since the summer but they are getting worse and also moving to the rest of the flock someone told me could be mites but I dont see anything on them have been treating with 7 dust with no real improvement, I hope someone can help out there?

It's not usually too low, but for a very active roo, it can be, especially if he does have favorites. I've seen it happen in a flock of 15.

Hmm, interesting. I would in fact classify him as active. I'll have to see if he tries them more than the others.

Back
Top Bottom