Barg, you won't believe this! chicken introductions not goin well...

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well, I am trying to introduce my one and half day old, to my three and half day old!

And..its NOT going well. Disco Lil likes it by HERSELF, thank you very much. And that stupid lil runt wants to eat my TOES! she says. So I will just get even by pecking at her eyes!

I had them together on the kitchen floor and had to play mascot, they were goin at each other, trying to get at each other to peck even between my hand once they got mad at each other.

And yes, I was laughing my head off, its so comical, but if together, they would really HURT each other.
Which is more to say, Disco would probably kill the lil one. Goodness! Disco is three times the size of that bantam. And the bantam thinks Lilys toes look delish, so even when Lil decided to be nice, she got ticked off after a few squeals of toe pain. Not sure why she cares, she pecked her own toes a thousand times the first two days until she figured out they werent good to eat.
And I always thot chickens were SOCIAL animals.
barnie.gif

Cyn, its really hilarious. I never seen any so young so NOT get along!
My other three, I threw them all together at as soon as I brought them home (bought from the feedstore) and they were happy for each others company! Lil really DOES like it by herself, odd chick that she is.
The other chick is real gentle, except for tryin to eat Lil's toes that is. lol I wouldnt say Disco is gentle... she already tried to massacre everything in her box.
gig.gif

Maybe the disco light is making her crazy!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Having worked as a night club disk jocky for many, many years, I can confirm that, disco lights Do make you crazy.
crazy.gif

Hmm, lets see, you could put them together at night.
You could try putting a partition between them, that they can see each other through.
You could get a super soaker... hmmm no, wait, they are too small... try a squirt gun.

Seriously, I can't imagine a chicken so young being so hostile, I wish I knew what to tell you.
I'm guessing that they will be easier to integrate then mine, despite the early problem.

I'll be watching to see how it goes.

GL
smile.png

Yes, I saw your post in my thread, I don't really get on here much till late... but you know that
tongue.png

With that naked neck, maybe little Disco thinks it's an alien in her brooder, LOL. They'll work it out, I think. Eating together is a bonding thing. Get them eating out of your hand at the same time. Give them a mirror to have someone else to concentrate on.

Yup, mabye she thinks the other one is an alien. You know, its funny, I did put a mirror in with her and she didnt like it. I thought that strange, I even gave her some time to get used to it, but it bothered her for some reason. She is a strange lil chick, so chock full of personality. I dont think she is a bully necessarily, just SO curious, and those lil shiny black eyes on that NN have got to be treats!
She really is the most curious bird. Looks everything over very carefully.
The other one (I guess technically she is a showgirl, black silkie x turken so it a lil cuter than a turken) is a character in her own way too, I am working on getting her to eat, she is so tiny I have to let the chick crumbles soak for 10 minutes before to soften for her to get them down. She moves FAST when she moves tho, thus the prob. Lily doesnt realize whats happening until her toes are half eaten.
lau.gif

Really, right now, the lil one has such a SMALL beak, its laughable. She has pecked me a few times, then scared herself. She has very lil ooommphh in her beak at this point.

Barg, not sure about the fence where they can see each other, (I know your kidding, so am I) by the time they really started going at each other, I made that fence with my hand, and it was like when the guys have to hold two other guys back that are fighting, man they were trying to go over, under, thru...to get AT each other...I was laughing too hard it was hard to referee. Lil was like..you are NOT peckin my toes ANYMORE, and the lil runt was scared after being pecked real close to the eye about 3 times, but she was STILL gonna get those TOES, man! She is scared of Disco, but she still goes after her. Funny!

I am getting too many birds. Went out this morn, and a piping plover has lost its way and is on my front porch. Poor lil thing, so confused, was lookin under my water hose for somethin to eat. I let it alone, sure hope its ok, it was very easily spooked, scared ME to death this morn. Gonna have to check on it more, dont know how it found its way here, they are usually river/sand birds.

Have a good morn!
Jill

Back
Top Bottom