Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
At what age are you seeing this?

I have hatched 6 Barnevelder cockerels (I'm good huh, no pullets). They are all still healthy but all still under a year old.

I had one of my cockerels just up and die. Heard a terrible commotion in the coop while I was out doing my chores one even last Fall. When in to see what was up and there was my European Standard cockerel lying flat out. Picked him up, he was still alive, but not moving. I laid him on the doghouse for about 10 minutes while I finished my chores and figured I'd take him in the house to see what might be wrong. Not 10 minutes later when I picked him up to go in the house he was stone dead and rigor mortis had already set in.

Prior to this happening the bird showed no sign of illness of any kind. It was after 2200 and I hadn't even ate yet so I just chalked it up to either the bird had ate something he shouldn't have, SDS, or something else that I probably wouldn't figure out even if I did take the time to do a necropsy. He was definitely a doggone good looking European Style male and I was really looking forward to breeding him to see what he might do to the lacing on my females so I was pretty ticked by the whole thing and just chucked him down over the hill for the coyotes.

God Bless,

24704_dscf3599.jpg
24704_dscf3569.jpg

I have never had a Barnie roo to die. A few pullets were found dead when they were younger but I had a lot of them and they would fly up in terror every time the cat walked past their pen. I think I lost them due to that because I haven't lost any others like falling over dead.

My roos seem to be strong and vigorous. I got extras again! I have yet to eat one but may if I can't move these boys. They won't be dropping over dead unless the sight of the killing cone bothers them.

I have had Barnies almost 2 years and that is my experience so far.

I love my Barnies! I'm so glad I found this thread.
I found the breed when looking for a source of Salmon Faverolles, for their personality & winter laying reputation. They sounded similar in that.
The Favs I hatched from shipped eggs have been flighty & less social.
hmm.png
I will try one more hatch, from a different source, as they are lovely and they're easy to sex by 2 weeks. Poor guys have a lot to live up to.

But the Barnies are my best friends, and wait for me to come out with their treats.
love.gif

Last September I got what are now 4 hens and 2 roos from Christine Cole (thanks Trisha for the link!); 2 are Vb (Christina Ledford's line-VonBarnevelder aka PeaceofThyme), 2 Johan, and the 2 boys are Vb/KC (Kevin Cratty-which I am told is the line Julie Gabbard raises).
I hope to maintain or improve the breed with my little group. They are turning out nicely as they mature.
One roo did have to be isolated today, as he was overbreeding hens who got enough of that thankyouverymuch 2 weeks ago when the other roo (older by 2 weeks, lol) hit puberty. The poor girls were all hiding in the hay barn today.
I look forward to sharing info with you all.
caf.gif
:)

Last edited:
I have decided to sell my KC roo and an unrelated hen so I can let my Johan roo father the chicks this year.
There are more photos on my website but here is the roo. I have had him almost 2 yrs and he is easy to work with. I love him but haven't the room for everyone to stay. My hens pretty much all look alike but this smaller hen, though one of my better layers, isn't the size I would like.

9332_barnie_butt.jpg

9332_sunny_barnie_hen.jpg

I was interested in raising the Barnevelders and I read the Storey's illustrated book of poultry (great book) and saw that this breed is very prone to Marek's disease. Maybe this is what is killing your chickens. I need to read more on this breed before I committ to it.

Back
Top Bottom