Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Just wanted to share some pics of my Barnevelder young rooster. Wondering if he is looking as he should. Let me know. He is about 7 months old, hatched mid April 2011. He was the only male hatched from my eggs so want to make sure he looks as he is supposed to before I begin to incubate next month.

My Barnie girls have just started to lay but I have to say that it seems to be a common occurence with them to just lay their egg wherever they happen to be standing at that moment. It is truly a hunt every day to see if I can find their eggs. Of course I know it is them since they are so much darker than the eggs from my other 15 or so laying hens. I told my husband they remind me of the show where women didn't know they were pregnant until they went into labor and had a baby. I can just imagine my pullets walking around and then..."ahh..I have to lay an egg...NOW." or " Hey, where did that come from?" Is this normal for the breed? With age will they gravitate towards the nesting boxes, or will I always be hunting?
smile.png

84747_barnevelder_rooster_110411-1.jpg

84747_barnevelder_rooster_110411-2.jpg

84747_barnevelder_rooster_110411-3.jpg

84747_barnevelder_rooster_110411-4.jpg

Quote:
I got him (hatching eggs) from Andy Gallagher in Oregon. He labeled the eggs I received this Spring and this rooster hatched from a pen that held a pure Johan roo penned with four layers, one pullet that is 50% Johan and the other half is from a hen that has KC x Ledford and two pullets from Trisha that are pure Ledford. So not sure exactly but a good idea anyway.

I have been happy with all that have hatched from his eggs and glad to hear that my only rooster looks good. THANKS!

Hi guys. I just had a small harmless question for ya.

we have our annual nnpfa show coming up next weekend. Its a small scale thing and i was thinking about taking my barnevelder. Problem is i know nothing about showing or anything but i think she is really super pretty. I dont care if she not a winner, in fact i dont recall seeing any barnies last year, but i was just wondering if i entered her for people to see, would she be disqualified or would i be laughed out of the show? I think she is beautiful nd just wanna share her beauty.

c917cdde.jpg

she has much more of a sheen in person and has just completed moult so her feathers are flawless....

let me know, experts!

Quote:
I got him (hatching eggs) from Andy Gallagher in Oregon. He labeled the eggs I received this Spring and this rooster hatched from a pen that held a pure Johan roo penned with four layers, one pullet that is 50% Johan and the other half is from a hen that has KC x Ledford and two pullets from Trisha that are pure Ledford. So not sure exactly but a good idea anyway.

I have been happy with all that have hatched from his eggs and glad to hear that my only rooster looks good. THANKS!

Andy has wonderful birds and I will tell you that this boy that you got is packing some FABULOUS genes! He looks almost identical to my pure Johan roo. LOVELY!!!!! Bravo!

*edited to add* My oldest hen will be 2 years old in March or April (can't remember which) and has only ever laid a handful of eggs in the nest box.....she prefers the floor.
roll.png
Her oldest daughter (when she graces me with an egg) prefers the nest box.
idunno.gif
Crazy girls!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

Andy has wonderful birds and I will tell you that this boy that you got is packing some FABULOUS genes! He looks almost identical to my pure Johan roo. LOVELY!!!!! Bravo!

I also have 6 Barnie girls from Andy, from his two different breeding pens. As well as two pure Johan girls (from Johan) that are a bit younger than Andy's. Hopefully I will get some nice chicks in the Spring. I will have to take some pics of the girls and put them up as well. Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate the response.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom