Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bluehenhatchery.com, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Okay, THAT is not normal. I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat. Not good genes to pass along to offspring - no room for a mean rooster here.

I got rid of a gorgeous rooster that would attack me every time I went into the run. (not my kids, not DH, just me) I finally got tired of having to constantly watch my back (and explain all the bruises on my legs - he had a knack for breaking blood vessels) - so he's gone now. It was a tough choice because he did have good qualities - he was great at watching over babies and protecting them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you i have started the search togetrid ofhim.

its a shame as heis just getting hislovely feathers in and is even afraid ofhis own shadow , this is his first ever problem with him but its abig one !
    its only this week that he has started before this hewastheone who was chased around and peckedbut never beated on i think his frisky behaviour isgetting him in to too much trouble as he hasnow learned his dancing moves( belive itor not he practiced on the water bowl first)

thanks for the advice ill keep a search going to get rid,
    least if hegoesi can buy two new birds to replace the lost one :) always have to lookonthebright side

3. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    Finally! I figured out the picture thing. I have to do from my desk top.
    Here is the Barnie hen I got from on Craigslist. I am told she came from Andy's Farm ( Mountain View Orchards ). I will try for a full body picture later todayl Love the Vivid Lacing That Goes all the way back.
    [​IMG]

4. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    Heres a couple better pics of her. Let me know what you think of her.

r
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She's lovely! [​IMG]

6. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011

x2.......................

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's hideous, you should send her to me. [​IMG] LOVE her lacing!

8. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    I know! I am still blown away that a quality hen, only a year old was up for grabs. Usually they are spoken for in seconds. The add was up for a week.

9. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Beautiful hen:) Andy has some good stock. She looks like she has more vB and/or KC in her than Johan. Those lines tend to produce darker hens with really good lacing. You've got a really nice hen:)

Trisha

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Is it just me and my monitor or does that lacing appear to be more golden than bay red? I recall seeing some of Andy's birds on here last month or so and I thought they were really very nice. This pullet is a nice looking bird but the lacing appears to me to be more golden. I only ask because the OP says she was "told" the bird came from Andy's farm - which leads me to believe there is a possibility that it didn't.

Andy, where are you? Weigh in and let us know what you think!

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by