Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
http://home.kpn.nl/briellae/serv01.htm

I saw your message and I feel your pain or fear. I have never seen such a breed of chickens untill about five years ago. A fellow had some on his place and I asked him why he had this breed. It was the color of egg that is why he wanted it.

As far as a standard or what they should like in type I have no clue. I typed in the name and found a site in Holland where they have some nice pictures and I am sure true to thier standards if shown.

Hope this helps you but when someone would ask me where they could get the best strain in the USA of this breed I would draw a blank. I know most top breeders in the USA. bob

Quote:
I havent' participated in this thread as much as I should.

I have Barnevelders, and like you I started with chicks from Ideal. I thought they were beautiful, then I got real Barnevelders. The differences are obvious. I bought eggs from two BYC members Nadine and James A last year. These were Johan/Kratty and Johan- Kathy/Cratty lines.

When compared to the Ideal hens, the lacing is better, the eggs are bigger and the body shape is different than the chickens out of Ideal stock were. The legs were much more yellow as well. I will say though, that as hatchery stock goes.. Ideal wasn't too bad.

I really have to get some pictures of them and put them on here. The biggest difference was obvious in the body shape of the rooster. The rooster out of breeder lines was what I would describe as more compact and solid.

these aren't the best pictures for comparing, but they are all I have right now.

18074_barnevelderroo2010.jpg
18074_chicken_barnevelderlace.jpg
18074_chicken_barnevelderroopose.jpg

one of these roos is from Ideal and the other is from the breeders... can you tell which is which.

This is the standard that I had found a couple of years ago. Is this the standard?
Rooster
Comb, Face, Wattles, and Ear-Lobes: Bright Red.
Beak: Dark horn shading to yellow at the point.
Eyes: Reddish bay.
Head: Each feather is black with a slight reddish brown edging and reddish brown shafts. Feather tips are black.
Neck: Each feather is black with a slight reddish brown edging and reddish brown shafts. Feather tips are black.
Back: Each feather is reddish brown with very wide lacing of lustrous greenish-black.
Tail: Main tail is black. Sickles and lesser sickles should be a lustrous greenish black.
Wings: Bows and coverts: each feather is reddish brown with a broad lacing of lustrous greenish black.
Primaries: upper web is black, lower web is black with a lower edge of reddish brown.
Secondaries: upper web is black, lower web is reddish brown, finely laced with black. When closed it shows a reddish brown wing bay.
Breast: Each feather is reddish brown with a sharply defined lacing of lustrous greenish black.
Body and Fluff: Black.
Legs and Toes: Thighs are black. Shanks and toes are yellow.
Undercolor of All Sections: Dark Slate.
Skin Color: Yellow.

Hen
Comb, Face, Wattles, and Ear-Lobes: Bright Red.
Beak: Dark horn shading to yellow at the point.
Eyes: Reddish Bay.
Head: Plumage is a lustrous greenish black.
Neck: Lustrous greenish black. The front of the neck is the same as the breast.
Back: Each feather is reddish brown, free of black peppering, with a well defined outer lacing of lustrous greenish black and a well defined inner lacing of lustrous greenish black. The outer lacing is to be distinct yet not so heavy as to give a black appearance to the bird in the show pen.
Tail: The main tail and coverts are black.
Wings: Each feather on the bows and coverts is to be a reddish brown with a broad lacing of lustrous greenish black.
Primaries: Upper web is black, lower web is black with a lower edge of brown.
Secondardies: Upper web is black, lower web is brown and finely laced with black, showing a brown wing bay when closed.
Breast: Each feather is a reddish brown, free of black peppering, with a well defined outer lacing of lustrous greenish black. The outer lacing is to be distinct, yet not so heavy as to give a black appearance to the bird in the show pen.
Body and Fluff: Black is preferred.
Legs and Toes: Thighs should appear the same as the breast. Shanks and toes are yellow.
Undercolor of All Sections: Dark Slate.
Skin Color: Yellow.

Body Type

(While this standard calls for a tight-feathered bird, I have been told Barnevelders should be more loose-feathered, similar to a Plymouth Rock or a Wyandotte.)

Disqualifications: White in the ear lobes.

Rooster
Standard Weights: Cock - 7lbs, Cockrel - 6lbs.
Comb: Single, medium in size, straight and upright, evenly serrated, having five well defined points.
Beak: Short, stout, and well curved.
Face:Smooth, fine textured and as free from feathers as possible.
Eyes: Very bright and prominent.
Wattles: Medium in size.
Ear Lobes: Medium in size.
Head: Carried high with a neat skull.
Neck: Fairly long, full, and carried erect.
Back: Well balanced and concave. Medium in length, broad and deep.
Tail: Full with a graceful, uniform sweep. Carried high, up to 50 degrees above the horizontal.
Wings: Rather short and carried high.
Breast: Deep, broad and full.
Body and Fluff: Body medium in length, deep and broad.
Legs and Toes: Legs set well apart when viewed from the front. Four toes on each foot, well spread.
Plumage: Very tight and of nice texture.

Hen
Standard Weights: Hen - 6lbs, Pullet - 5lbs.
Comb: Single, similar to the male only smaller.
Beak: Medium and well curved.
Face: Smooth, fine textured and as free from feathers as possible.
Eyes: Very bright and prominent.
Wattles: Medium in size.
Ear Lobes: Medium in size.
Head: Carried high with a neat skull.
Neck: Fairly long, full and carried erect.
Back: Well balanced and concave. Medium in length, broad and deep.
Tail: Full with a graceful, uniform sweep. Carried high, up to 50 degrees above the horizontal.
Wings: Rather short and carried high.
Breast: Deep, broad and full.
Body and Fluff: Body medium in length, deep and broad.
Legs and Toes: Legs set well apart when viewed from the front. Four toes on each foot that are well spread.
Plumage: Very tight and of nice texture.​

Quote:
I don't know about the columbian, but welsummer blood is most likely the cause of the lack of lacing. Sorry to say, but if you want to breed them, always keep their offspring seperate or banded. You might end up with chicks with "V" head markings and poor lacing popping up in later generations. Breeding them with a pure Barnevelder roo will "clean" up the pattern. He would pass on the Ml and Pg and the next generation would look nicer. I would only use them if they have something special you want to add to your flock like vigor, rate of lay, egg color, size/growth etc. Otherwise I would just use them as layers.

Trisha

Two weeks ago I got some barnevelders from a breeder near me... I posted about it but never posted pictures so Enjoy
wink.png

Two week old Chick 1
15667_101_5554.jpg

Two week old Chick 2
15667_101_5555.jpg

Two week old Chick 3
15667_101_5556.jpg

Two week old Chick 4
15667_101_5566.jpg

Month old Chick 5 ( Hen )
15667_101_5557.jpg

Month old Chick 6 ( Roo )
15667_101_5560.jpg

Month old Chick 7 ( Roo )
15667_101_5561.jpg
15667_101_5563.jpg

Month old Chick 8 ( Hen )
15667_101_5564.jpg
15667_101_5565.jpg

Two of them almost look like they have stripes ( Chick 6 and Chick 8 )... I am hoping that its just their Teenage feathers and that they will grow out of it, any thoughts on that ?

Last edited:
Quote:

I have Barnevelders, and like you I started with chicks from Ideal. I thought they were beautiful, then I got real Barnevelders. The differences are obvious. I bought eggs from two BYC members Nadine and James A last year. These were Johan/Kratty and Johan- Kathy/Cratty lines.

When compared to the Ideal hens, the lacing is better, the eggs are bigger and the body shape is different than the chickens out of Ideal stock were. The legs were much more yellow as well. I will say though, that as hatchery stock goes.. Ideal wasn't too bad.

I really have to get some pictures of them and put them on here. The biggest difference was obvious in the body shape of the rooster. The rooster out of breeder lines was what I would describe as more compact and solid.

these aren't the best pictures for comparing, but they are all I have right now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_barnevelderroo2010.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_chicken_barnevelderlace.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_chicken_barnevelderroopose.jpg
one of these roos is from Ideal and the other is from the breeders... can you tell which is which.

First rooster pictured is the bird from the breeder and the second rooster pictured is the hatchery bird.
smile.png

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_barnevelderroo2010.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_chicken_barnevelderlace.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18074_chicken_barnevelderroopose.jpg

First rooster pictured is the bird from the breeder and the second rooster pictured is the hatchery bird.
smile.png

Exactly right!!
lol.png
you can see the hatchery stock has a thinner chest and his back is too arched/curved. This all makes his neck look too long. Also, his beak color is yellow instead of horn... and that just a few of the flaws. I think the side by side comparison was helpful for me in learning what I was supposed to be looking for and what traits were not standard. I found this very difficult to learn.. and I'm still learning daily.

Back
Top Bottom