Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
I don't know about the columbian, but welsummer blood is most likely the cause of the lack of lacing. Sorry to say, but if you want to breed them, always keep their offspring seperate or banded. You might end up with chicks with "V" head markings and poor lacing popping up in later generations. Breeding them with a pure Barnevelder roo will "clean" up the pattern. He would pass on the Ml and Pg and the next generation would look nicer. I would only use them if they have something special you want to add to your flock like vigor, rate of lay, egg color, size/growth etc. Otherwise I would just use them as layers.
Trisha

Thank you! I won't be breeding them for any reason I was just curious as to your thoughts. They were destined for the laying flock as soon as they hatched and dried off and I noticed they weren't pure Barnevelders.
I am on my way with my pair of pure Barnevelders. Can't wait to get some eggs in the incubator and have Barnevelder babies running around. They are such neat birds and a joy to be around. They are very calm birds, have you noticed that?

I hope my Barnevelders fill out ok.... I am reading about people getting mixes, and I really want something I can work with for breeding
fl.gif

Quote:
I don't know about the columbian, but welsummer blood is most likely the cause of the lack of lacing. Sorry to say, but if you want to breed them, always keep their offspring seperate or banded. You might end up with chicks with "V" head markings and poor lacing popping up in later generations. Breeding them with a pure Barnevelder roo will "clean" up the pattern. He would pass on the Ml and Pg and the next generation would look nicer. I would only use them if they have something special you want to add to your flock like vigor, rate of lay, egg color, size/growth etc. Otherwise I would just use them as layers.
Trisha

Thank you! I won't be breeding them for any reason I was just curious as to your thoughts. They were destined for the laying flock as soon as they hatched and dried off and I noticed they weren't pure Barnevelders.
I am on my way with my pair of pure Barnevelders. Can't wait to get some eggs in the incubator and have Barnevelder babies running around. They are such neat birds and a joy to be around. They are very calm birds, have you noticed that?

Well hurry up and get yours going, so I can have some!
big_smile.png

Here are my young pullets there in the front back in early Summer:

35338_147087421971990_113271398686926_489487_4334342_n.jpg

46247_154968901183842_113271398686926_546246_6011166_n.jpg

One of the gals when she was a little older. . .

165325_196704950343570_113271398686926_867327_3108645_n.jpg

One of the Barn hens there in front more recently . . .about a month ago

Last edited:
I posted this in the injury section, but since he's a Barnevelder roo I thought I could post this here too.

Anyone had experience with Wry neck? Is it contagious, if he recovers can I breed him or is this a genetic thing?

Quote:
Have you checked to see if he has mites or some kind of pests? My bantam roo started that and we gave him VetRX and he was fine in a day. We rubbed it on next to his ears it killed the mites (pests) stop him from feeling dingy.
If it is anything other than pests he will probably pass away. Sorry. I had a Buff Ameraucana hen that did not make it 5 Years ago (twisted neck got worse)

Back
Top Bottom