Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi! When do Barnevelder babies start getting darker? I have been told I have a Barnevelder baby, but she is a light brown/tan and not dark like I thought she would be since they end up so dark. She is 11 days old, wing feathers are coming in but she is still light brown/tan.

Hi! When do Barnevelder babies start getting darker? I have been told I have a Barnevelder baby, but she is a light brown/tan and not dark like I thought she would be since they end up so dark. She is 11 days old, wing feathers are coming in but she is still light brown/tan.

A picture would help to see what you are talking about. They do change color a lot as they grow in their sets of feathers from juvenile to adult plumage.

Here is Anna a Barnevelder per where I bought her, she is the older chick...the smaller one is supposed to be a Welsummer.
This pic is a week old...she was 2 1/2 weeks. I will try to get a new one tomorrow. She is just starting to get some black feathers on her chest over the last couple of days.

Here is Anna a Barnevelder per where I bought her, she is the older chick...the smaller one is supposed to be a Welsummer. This pic is a week old...she was 2 1/2 weeks. I will try to get a new one tomorrow. She is just starting to get some black feathers on her chest over the last couple of days.
Your chick is lighter colored because it is not based on " brown" like the dark Barnevelder chicks. The brown base is considered more ideal to get the best double laced pattern. Your chick may still end up with double lacing ( if it is a girl, but to me she looks like a pullet), but only time will tell. Hatcheries usually select more for production traits rather than to breed standards. Trisha

One of my pullets got Champion Continental at the show this weekend. So proud of this little girl.

Congrats...she is very pretty!

A little update to my post just above. My barnevelder is not brown any more, she is starting to look more like a real barnie now :)

Back
Top Bottom