Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Now that is funny! How in the world do they do that?
Doggie door. My dog sticks her head out and holds the door open to sniff before she goes out. The chickens run under her and sneak past. I found an egg on a blanket on my couch once. They started laying in the pine shaving bags in the laundry room. I have crazy chickens. I love those guys.

The splash really hides the pattern.
I agree. Many of my splash hens have just a handful of dark blue feathers ( the random darker " splashes" that occur). These darker feathers had good double laced pattern, but the rest of their bodies were very poorly laced and most were single laced. The splashes full sisters in black and blue were all double laced. So the blue gene in homozygous state effects the action of the melanizers that normally allows for double lacing. My splash cockerels show the same issue. If you look close you may be able to see some evidence of good pattern, but it is still difficult to see if the splash have good enough pattern to use as breeders. I will probably use splash birds as layers or meat birds and not use them for breeding unless an individual splash has something very special in another trait. Trisha

Last edited:
I agree. Many of my splash hens have just a handful of dark blue feathers ( the random darker " splashes" that occur). These darker feathers had good double laced pattern, but the rest of their bodies were very poorly laced and most were single laced. The splashes full sisters in black and blue were all double laced. So the blue gene in homozygous state effects the action of the melanizers that normally allows for double lacing. My splash cockerels show the same issue. If you look close you may be able to see some evidence of good pattern, but it is still difficult to see if the splash have good enough pattern to use as breeders. I will probably use splash birds as layers or meat birds and not use them for breeding unless an individual splash has something very special in another trait.

Trisha
Exactly Trisha, if its an outstanding bird in all other parts, use it!
Piet

The splash really hides the pattern.

You can send her and any other splashes my way
lau.gif

I want a splash boy big time!!!  (call me nuts)

Not nuts, LOL. I think they are very pretty too:)

My daughter will probably be a little disappointed this weekend. She is really looking foward to having chicks hatching for her birthday and absolutely loves it when splash chicks hatch. The kids sit and watch the incubator with the chicks hatching for hours! The splash chicks get names like Snowy, snowflake, snow ball, cotton and so on. Then as favorites, the splash chicks get carried around, cuddled, and sang to LOL. But, I didn't keep any blue cockerels for breeding this spring...so no more splash chicks until at least later in the fall.

That reminds me, I got to go set up the bator for hatching :)

Trisha

Doggie door. My dog sticks her head out and holds the door open to sniff before she goes out. The chickens run under her and sneak past. I found an egg on a blanket on my couch once. They started laying in the pine shaving bags in the laundry room. I have crazy chickens. I love those guys.
Just wondering here..............why 3 opened bags of shavings?

Trisha - are you going to the Stockton show? If so, I'll be there.

Back
Top Bottom