Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I am getting kind of discouraged. I have a few 12 week old Blue Double Laced Barnevelders but several of them have WAY too much brown. Does this come out in molt? When do they get their lacing? A few look like they are promising but the rest have me scratching my head.
barnie.gif

I am getting kind of discouraged. I have a few 12 week old Blue Double Laced Barnevelders but several of them have WAY too much brown.  Does this come out in molt? When do they get their lacing?  A few look like they are promising but the rest have me scratching my head.  :barnie

Hi, fellow Okie! Where in Oklahoma are you? I'm in Norman.
I have very limited knowledge, but mine seem to get more of the brown as they age and lacing comes in. They do change dramatically, so don't give up hope just yet. I'll try to post pics of what I currently have today. Two of them (splash, blue--both girls) are just now 12 weeks. Two (both black--one boy/one girl) are 29 weeks.

At 7 weeks.

Same birds at almost 13 weeks.

29 week old boy waiting on his girls to grow up. I am super-excited about this trio!

Critique? I fully expect the lacing on the young ones to get better and better as they age. My older ones did. And before you say it...There is a possibility my splash is a boy. That's okay too. I've a girl who wouldn't mind...a black female, 29 weeks. She and my cockerel are POSSIBLE siblings so I haven't bred them yet...

Last edited:
Ok thank you for the pictures! Mine look a lot like yours at 13 weeks. But some have heavy red on their backs and wings.

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, such beautiful birds everyone has
love.gif

I hope you guys don't mind me posting in here.... I'm not a breeder, in fact, technically I don't even own any Barnevelders yet!!

I've got 6 Barnevelder eggs from a breeder under one of my broody hens at the moment. They are due to hatch on the 14th, so 2 days to go!
big_smile.png
I'm SO excited!!

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, such beautiful birds everyone has
love.gif

I hope you guys don't mind me posting in here.... I'm not a breeder, in fact, technically I don't even own any Barnevelders yet!!

I've got 6 Barnevelder eggs from a breeder under one of my broody hens at the moment. They are due to hatch on the 14th, so 2 days to go!
big_smile.png
I'm SO excited!!

Good luck with your hatch!

Yes! Good luck with your hatch! I hatched out 3 out of 6 of my Blue Double Laced Barnevelders. I then found 8 more chicks only a week or so older than the ones I had hatched. Now I have 11 beautiful babies! I can't wait to see what their lacing looks like. I think out of the 11, I have 4 or 5 roosters though. We shall see! Love the breed!

Question for the show folks! If you had a 4 lbs pullet with great markings versus a 4 lbs 12 oz pullet with poorer markings (lacing is clear but the black is standing out more than the brown, making her look predominantly black), which will perform better in show?
I signed up for 2 pullets to take to Nationals and am getting them TP tested tomorrow. I know I'm bringing my great marking almost 5 pounder, but it's hard choosing the second. I picked the poorer marked bird in the dark based on feel and weight, but that great marked smaller one is really standing out to me in the daylight and has a great tail set.

Back
Top Bottom