Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

she just started laying a few weeks ago, I have been hatching and raising chicks for a little over five years now and these are my first double yokers. Hopefully she will grow out of it then since she is just starting out.

Finally got a photo of my Barnie roo, Uggzie buggzie boo is what I call him.... real manly huh? What can I say...if he wasn't such a sweetie pie I would probably call him something else
lol.png
He was on his way over to see what Oatmeal the cat was up too.

11170_imgp1638.jpg

Wow Kim, he's gorgeous! From what I read of the standard he's got great type, size and tail angle. And a gorgeous 5 point comb. Love his name too.
lol.png

I've decided on my first 4 culls from my barnies, after the 4th, I'll be getting rid of them which will leave me with 5 cockerels to compare and choose.

Thank you ladies.
smile.png
I love him! He and Stephanies first daughter is shaping up to be very nice and she has better hackle colors than her mother. Stephanie has some brassiness in her hackles, but their 1st daughter does not...I likey I likey, she has the darker almost black hackles with no brassy. She needs a name, maybe this weekend I can get some photos of her and you all can help me name her. I also need to get photos of the little gal that I am growing out from this years eggs from Farmer Johan...she too is shaping up nicely and looks like the spitting image of Stephanie and Uggz daughter. Can't wait until I have more than one girl that is of laying age. One egg at a time is for the birds.
lol.png

Ace~ I hope one of your boys turns out just like their daddy too.
smile.png

Quote:
But...these really are the s-l-o-w-e-s-t growing birds ever
smile.png

The marans they are growing out with look like the jolly green giant next to them. One Marans pullet just steps on their head if they get in the way
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
But...these really are the s-l-o-w-e-s-t growing birds ever
smile.png

The marans they are growing out with look like the jolly green giant next to them. One Marans pullet just steps on their head if they get in the way
big_smile.png

Yes my friend they are SLOW growers, but the wait is well worth it for Barnies. They are such sweet birds it's all good. I have 6 more babies growing out now that are almost a month old, 4 girls and 2 boys and the Marans and Welsummer babies I have in with them tower over the Barnies, but they catch up.

Would love to see pics of the Marans babies girl so some day when you have time you might could maybe share over in the Marans thread.
big_smile.png

Okay here is my first Barnie, Charlie, at 14 Weeks. Just like Trisha said she is not “clean” and will not win any best of breed classes, but to me she is beautiful
love.gif
she of course will only be used for eggs, but we will keep her as long as God allows.
That is her BFF Lucy, if you don’t remember Charlie was the only one to hatch from her group so I had to buy Lucy as a friend.
I have 11 other baby barnies (3 are 6 weeks old and 9 that are 5 weeks old), they are harder to get pictures of, 2 are for sure not very good quality
hit.gif
, 2 that were born with V’s are actually looking pretty good, but will also only be used for eggs, and the rest are pretty and VERY dark
wee.gif
. I hope to get some good pics soon.
82626_cl8.jpg

82626_cl17.jpg

My chicks are 3.5 weeks now. My favorite had the more black striping down the back & grey chest. We thought was a girl. I even put white bands on the grey chests thinking they would be girls. Here's a picture of my favorite one. Not the greatest pictures but I never have my good camera with me when I let them out only my cell phone. The other grey chest & 2 white chests aren't getting much of a red crown or red woddles like this one. I have a bad feeling my favorite is a boy? I have noticed that the markings on my darker favorite one is a more longer pattern where as the others have a more of an all over pattern. As you can tell I am new to the breed
smile.png
It is fun to watch them grow/ feather out though. Hopefully I will get more pictures in the next day or so.

Shannon

65421_imag0991.jpg

65421_imag0992.jpg

Back
Top Bottom