Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Had a near miss this weekend with hatching, My hand saw was binding while cutting shelves for one of my home projects and kept tripping the breaker. Unknown to me the incubators in my office were on the same breaker and the surge protectors tripped and needed to be restarted. This went unnoticed for over two hours, and as we were getting ready to leave for the day. I by odd chance went and looked at the incubator and the temp was down to 87 and I was in Day 19. I got it going again and added hot water to hurry it back to temp.

I had a normal hatch for numbers but the first and last were spread out over a much wider time. The first hatched morning of day 20 and last hatched this am day 22. I had a few that didn't hatch but that is normal. I wonder if this chilling was behind the long hatch. That was the longest I ever lost power so I guess I am lucky. I had another bator on the same breaker that is due this Friday with my first silvers. Fingers crossed.

Andy

Had a near miss this weekend with hatching, My hand saw was binding while cutting shelves for one of my home projects and kept tripping the breaker. Unknown to me the incubators in my office were on the same breaker and the surge protectors tripped and needed to be restarted. This went unnoticed for over two hours, and as we were getting ready to leave for the day. I by odd chance went and looked at the incubator and the temp was down to 87 and I was in Day 19. I got it going again and added hot water to hurry it back to temp.

I had a normal hatch for numbers but the first and last were spread out over a much wider time. The first hatched morning of day 20 and last hatched this am day 22. I had a few that didn't hatch but that is normal. I wonder if this chilling was behind the long hatch. That was the longest I ever lost power so I guess I am lucky. I had another bator on the same breaker that is due this Friday with my first silvers. Fingers crossed.

Andy

A few years ago I lost power, I think it was on May 3rd or 10th - umm, maybe I shouldn't write this!! Anyways, I lost power for over two days. I had eggs in the incubator that were two days old, some that were actually hatching as the power went off, and some in between.

I took the eggs that were hatching down to a neighbors who had a generator (I have one now!) and set them in a brooder with a bunch of chicks I had too under a heat lamp. They all hatched out on their own. The eggs in the incubator, I took out and put inside of a couple of sleeping bags rated to below Zero. If memory serves, I had a good hatch but they did come off a day or two late.

Posted only so folks know that they may not have to toss eggs after a power outage.

God Bless,

Eggs went in the bator Monday and today Hubby and I are working on the new Barnie Pen.
wee.gif

Thanks to Donna for the eggs.
big_smile.png

bstarr20 congrats on the eggs from Donna and
fl.gif
you get a good hatch.

For me my last hatch will be May 16th with around 50 pure eggs in the bator. My blue hen is also sitting on 8 of her own eggs. If statistics work out right her chicks will hatch 25%black, 50% blue, 25% splash. The first splash pullet I hatched on Jan 1st, is now laying. I gave her to a friend because she didn't have very clean lacing. The splash pullet just laid her first egg yesterday and the egg was darker than I expected! I'm hoping that my blue hen's chicks will be better marked this time, because she has nicer lacing. The first pullet was from a different blue hen that wasn't as cleanly laced.

Also four of my 4th gen blue pullets should start laying any day too. They've been squatting and singing the egg song. I have about 8 more blue pullet chicks in the brooder including some (blue x cornevelder) chicks. I can't wait to see how that cross will look:) I'm hoping for about 8-10 good blue pullets from this year's hatches to cross with my pure Barnevelder roo this fall.

Here's a pic of just some of the eating eggs in my fridge. I keep them in a bowl...because I ran out of egg cartons, LOL. The darkest ones are from my "cornevelders" and all the hens are lightening up in egg color though...some quite drastically.

Just to let you guys know, I'm going to be having some company stay over at our house for a few days, so I might not get on the BYC very much for a bit.
Happy Hatching Everyone!!!!
jumpy.gif

Trisha

Okay so I candled my eggs from Trisha last night, I was at day 5. Out of 17, 17 are developing
yesss.gif
! Not a single Dud!!! Thank you so much Trisha! I can't wait to see these little guys, here is hoping I don't do anything to mess this up
fl.gif

I got a first egg from one of my 4th generation blue pullets today
wee.gif
Not bad egg color...probably average for a Barnevelder. I'll cross this year's blue pullets back to a pure Barnevelder roo later this fall to get the 5th generation going:)

Trisha

I got a first egg from one of my 4th generation blue pullets today
wee.gif
Not bad egg color...probably average for a Barnevelder. I'll cross this year's blue pullets back to a pure Barnevelder roo later this fall to get the 5th generation going:)

Trisha
I see and love the great results that you are having. I don't have the time nor funds to do the color projects so I hope to benefit from the efforts that you, Andy and others are putting into these color and type improvement projects. I was thrilled that Andy was doing the Rock cross as that is what I would have done =:~)
We had discussed a Jersey Blue cross and I get asked about that a lot since I have them but the growth rate and growth style on the Jersey is too different. I do like the Rock style and body better than the Jersey for this purpose......

Meanwhile, back at this 'ranch', I am working on a 'pretty' head with good definition and a smooth, well-defined back. Luckily, the breeder groups that I have now have excellent leg color.

I love the cooperative nature of the breeders of our Barnevelders -- must get the club active and promoting the breed.

k/

Hi, I've fallen in love with this breed, and had eggs shipped up from Erhard Weihs, one of the first people I found selling hatching eggs, and I also bought eggs from an ebay seller. The ebay auction was for 6 eggs, three were cracked and two made it to lockdown, they both hatched. The other eggs are in lockdown now, but we had an all day power outage yesterday and I'm not holding out much hope. I have one from those eggs hatched. Is someone here selling eggs? I'd really like to try again. I live in Alaska and there are no local breeders that I know of. Thank you!

Hi, I've fallen in love with this breed, and had eggs shipped up from Erhard Weihs, one of the first people I found selling hatching eggs, and I also bought eggs from an ebay seller. The ebay auction was for 6 eggs, three were cracked and two made it to lockdown, they both hatched. The other eggs are in lockdown now, but we had an all day power outage yesterday and I'm not holding out much hope. I have one from those eggs hatched. Is someone here selling eggs? I'd really like to try again. I live in Alaska and there are no local breeders that I know of. Thank you!
Bantams or LF?

If bantams, I can help you out by shipping 5/21..... LF I'm not breeding at the moment. (my pair isn't together at the moment, I should say)

Back
Top Bottom