Barnevelder gender tracking. 3 - 9 weeks

Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
I just love the photo of one of my big girls in the background with her big ole waddles and comb. They're HUGE. On all of my SOE hens. Literally they have issues seeing because their combs flop into their eyes.

Oh geez, I swear this chicken gets harder to sex each time you post a new photo of him/her. 😂 There is lacing on the chest, but with that giant comb and wattles I don't see any way that could be a pullet. Do you have another Barnie to compare with?
Is that true of all Barnies there though? Here Barnevelder roosters should have lacing on the chest, I've always thought the black chest was interesting.

Oh geez, I swear this chicken gets harder to sex each time you post a new photo of him/her. 😂 There is lacing on the chest, but with that giant comb and wattles I don't see any way that could be a pullet. Do you have another Barnie to compare with?

Is that true of all Barnies there though? Here Barnevelder roosters should have lacing on the chest, I've always thought the black chest was interesting.

I only got the one Barnevelder this time around. I was trying to be smart and get different breeds to make chicken watching more interesting and ID from the kitchen window easier.

It would be interesting if the Barnies from Privett have the laced chests and more color. Hopefully it would make people want him more.

I'm still leaning towards it being a cockerel. Just based on the comb and waddles. In two days I'll be taking the 6 week photos.

I'm thinking I may actually have two cockerels. The Barnie, and the Australorp. Time will tell! Not super worried about it either way. I can't keep roosters so if there are two, then I can get more chicks next year at least. Haha! If only the Barnie is a roo, no chicks next year unless I lose at least one this year. Which hopefully won't happen.

Oh yeah and today when I put them outside, I swear, someone was trying to crow. I didn't get a good look so I don't know who was making all the ruckus. But it wasn't the normal "cheep" or "trill" I'm so used to. hmmmm....

My male barnevelders were always black on the chest and shoulders. If there was lacing early on it always was muddy and not clear lacing.

Oh yeah and today when I put them outside, I swear, someone was trying to crow. I didn't get a good look so I don't know who was making all the ruckus. But it wasn't the normal "cheep" or "trill" I'm so used to. hmmmm....
You said you thought your Australorp was a roo as well, maybe it was him trying to crow...I'm pretty sure your Barnie is a cockerel too though. :hmm

You said you thought your Australorp was a roo as well, maybe it was him trying to crow...I'm pretty sure your Barnie is a cockerel too though. :hmm
I mean, who knows, but here's the Australorp today.

1000008341.jpg
1000008343.jpg

Not to get sidetracked from the barnevelder. But they're six weeks tomorrow.

Then I go back and look at peaches at the same age...
1000008353.jpg

Peaches is a hen, however she has inch long spurs. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom