Barred-acauna

*British Accent* Wow ...this is absolutly faccinating...to get barred females from a barred rock hen and an araucana male...almost unheard of ....

They look like roos to me, especially the one on the top right, I could see roo as soon as I saw his face. Like I said its pretty much a genetic guarantee, and they are dark like the barred rock hens because they only got one copy of the barring gene and are heterozygous for barring.

not to be a party pooper but they aren't part araucana as they have beards/muffs, not tufts. Most likely EE's and am going to have to concur that the barred offspring "should" all be cockerals unless the EE roo carried the barring gene (which probably isn't likely). Will be interesting.....

This is us as well. A BYCer was kind enough to give us two BR/EE chicks... I'm calling them Bree and Beer for lack of imagination... so we can have brown eggs (from our GSLs) and green eggs too... both of ours look like BRs, but with some fluffy cheeks.

If I can ever get my camera working right (battery issues) then I'll get some pics of the cuties.

You are correct rareroo, they are ameracauna roos (2). When I got the roos last year, from a small farm not far from me, I was told
they were full blood ameracaunas.
Both top pix are the bird...
How did you determine that bird a roo??? Everything I see looks pullet?
I did get some roos in the hatch, which I have determined already for those to be roos, larger combs and much larger tail feathers.

I don't want to sound like a PIA, but hoping they are pullets... otherwise, freezer camp for them.
idunno.gif

The top one is for sure a cockerel as is the bottom left. I cannot see the comb on the 4th pic so no guesses. I'm working with rose combed barred birds and my eyes have gotten sharp.

Although genetically impossible I have gotten barred pullets from a buff cock x barred hen, most likely the buff (clear show quality wyandotte who was 4 generations off a splash mating) was masking the barring but it's also possible it was a mutation/crossover. Genetics are never never a sure thing. 99.9 sure but 100 percent? Nope.

Last edited:
Quote:
sorry, that's what I get with trying to read with the kids running around.....what color are the roos? there is a genetic calculator that says all the barred offspring would be cockerals....was thinking of hatching some eggs from my blue wheaten roo over my cuckoo marans hens to get some sex link olive eggers.......

Back
Top Bottom