Barred Holland breed of chickens

Hi there! I also received 8 Barred Hollands from Sand Hill 4 weeks ago as part of a (very) mixed flock. I ordered 3, and they kindly sent me 5 extras for free--since it was a hot week, they sent two boxes of 15 chicks instead of one box of 25. How are yours doing so far? I think mine might be my favorite breed of the seven breeds we received. They are curious, friendly, and strong. They seem to be great fliers and love foraging. One rooster has taken a shine to my two-year old (she named him Rooster Sam), and he always runs right to her to be carried around for a bit. I'm zoned for roosters in my town, so hopefully he stays friendly enough to keep around.

I'm very interested to hear your impressions! I'm going to try to get in on that Facebook group, too.
Hi, I'm late to this party. I am raising a flock of 26 Barred Holland I got from Sand Hill Preservation Center this month (we are in central KY). So far, they're all good and we hope to get them into a run by themselves soon. Is there anyone who can give me like a basic rundown of how this effort is going? I can't keep a rooster (or at least I'm not supposed to here in town), but I want to contribute in some way to saving the breed. Are they back from the brink?

Also, I just sent a join request to the Facebook group if anyone here is also in that crew.

Thanks

All 6 eggs that made it to lockdown hatched. We had an issue with our broody mama and she killed 2 chicks so there are 4 BH in a brooder 1 day old. They are curious and love being around us so far. I can't wait to watch them grow.

Hi, I've been searching all over for quality BH breeding stock. We want to join with others who are helping to revive this endangered breed. Do you happen to know where we might connect with someone who has chicks available?

There is a Facebook group that is a little more active than this thread. You can check there. Probably not anything until spring. Most people sell eggs but if you are close enough you can get chicks.

Back
Top Bottom