Barred Large Fowl Cochin

chickcrack

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I purchased 6 "Blue Cochin" chicks this spring and one turned out to be a Barred cochin roo. I don't know if he is a mix but he is huge already at 10 weeks and has very fully feathered legs. I need to decide if I'm keeping him or his brother (Blue Cochin). I'm not a breeder but would like to raise chicks. If I keep the barred roo will all of his offspring be barred? The only other hens I have are all barred rocks. From what I have read I think every chick would be barred from a barred rooster regardless of what he covers...am I correct?

Yes, all his offspring should be barred. If you breed him to a solid colored bird, say one of the blue Cochin hens, all the chicks will inherit one copy of the barring gene. So they'll all be barred, but you won't be able to sex them by the normal rules of barring, they'll have the darker barring pattern of pure bred females.

If you put him over the barred Rocks, you'd be able to sex by headspot and light/dark of the barring pattern.

Yes, all his offspring should be barred. If you breed him to a solid colored bird, say one of the blue Cochin hens, all the chicks will inherit one copy of the barring gene. So they'll all be barred, but you won't be able to sex them by the normal rules of barring, they'll have the darker barring pattern of pure bred females. 

If you put him over the barred Rocks, you'd be able to sex by headspot and light/dark of the barring pattern. 

No idea how I missed your reply but I just read it-thank you!

Back
Top Bottom