Barred... Or Mottled Cochin Chick

I have a young chick that I thought was going to be solid black.
View attachment 2166687View attachment 2166695
These pics above are when he was about 1 week old.
And below is him at around 4 weeks old where he's gotten some white feathers grown in. Most obviously on his feet and a few in his wings, and now some in his chest it looks like.
View attachment 2166699View attachment 2166714
(I keep calling all my chicks a 'he' but I don't know if they're boys or girls yet...it's just kinda habit)
I noticed most hatchery mottled Cs I'm seeing online are primarily black but do have some white feathers. I wonder if the lighter the down, the more white/contrast in the adult. My chick will probably end up with 3 white feathers 😂😂😂 Regardless, your li'l chick just gave me so much hope that my Marley is a mottled! TY!! Please keep us posted as s/he matures and more feathers come in ❤

Last edited:
Sorry for the tread hijack, but I was sold these chicks as bantam cochin (no colour was mentioned), but I've had several people on here say they look more like sablepoot chicks. What do you think?
I'm new to bantams... but they remind me a little of mille fleur or porcelain uccle chicks. I know I saw similar chicks when scrutinizing cochin chick colors but I can't remember which was that light :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom