Barred Rock and EE Laying Ages???

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I have two 4 week old pullet chicks, a barred rock and an EE. At what age will they start laying and how many eggs will I get a day/week once they start?

Last edited:
Your barred rock will probably start to lay around 20 weeks and you'll get one a day or every other day, and the EE I don't know I have one that is 28 weeks old and still no eggs.

Your barred rock will probably start to lay around 20 weeks and you'll get one a day or every other day, and the EE I don't know I have one that is 28 weeks old and still no eggs.

Yay! 20 weeks would be amazing
big_smile.png

Maybe the EE's lay at different ages based on what they are mixed with but I wouldn't know.​

Last edited:
Quote:
From what I have read, EE's production and maturity can vary greatly. I would - guess - that the Barred and EEs will start laying anywhere from 20-26 weeks of age. Some EEs might lay much later.

There are some great webpages around that detail out the average egg production of certain breeds. You might get between 150-250 eggs in the first year from the barred rock.

I have 2 EEs....one first laid at 19 weeks, the other around 24 weeks. My EE was the first to lay out of the three breeds I have....I also have 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes, and 2 Speckled Sussex. The Sussex were the last to to start laying, probably around 26 weeks.

Last edited:
From what I have read, EE's production and maturity can vary greatly. I would - guess - that the Barred and EEs will start laying anywhere from 20-26 weeks of age. Some EEs might lay much later.

There are some great webpages around that detail out the average egg production of certain breeds. You might get between 150-250 eggs in the first year from the barred rock.

Wow the barred rocks are good layers! If my EE takes a while it will be ok as long as the barred rock is laying. I'm just so impatient for that first egg!!!​

Quote:
Wow the barred rocks are good layers! If my EE takes a while it will be ok as long as the barred rock is laying. I'm just so impatient for that first egg!!!

Aren't we all!!!
big_smile.png

Our barred rock started laying 3rd out of 9 chickens, somewhere between 20-24 weeks old would be my guess, I cannot remember now. If your hen is anything like ours, you'll know when she is getting ready or laying eggs, she has a loud egg song.

There is a lot of variation between birds, we have 2 black Australorps, one has been laying for well over a month now and the other isn't even checking out the nests yet, same hatch date.

Last edited:
Our barred rock started laying 3rd out of 9 chickens, somewhere between 20-24 weeks old would be my guess, I cannot remember now. If your hen is anything like ours, you'll know when she is getting ready or laying eggs, she has a loud egg song.

Well that's good and bad. I like the fact that they lay early but the loud egg song may be a problem. I cant have really loud chickens because honestly i'm not supposed to even have chickens in my development. The guy at the hatchery said the breeds I bought are normally very quiet for him so hopefully mine will be too
fl.gif

We have three BR's and 3 EE's and they all layed in 20 to 24 weeks, with a good mix of who layed first, second and so on. Our BR's are silent, no egg song. One of our EE's loves to do the egg song before, during and after! So you won't know if anyone is going to do the egg song until they do or don't...

We have three BR's and 3 EE's and they all layed in 20 to 24 weeks, with a good mix of who layed first, second and so on. Our BR's are silent, no egg song. One of our EE's loves to do the egg song before, during and after! So you won't know if anyone is going to do the egg song until they do or don't...

Well I'll be expecting an egg in 15-20 weeks then! I hope my barred rock is like yours and I dont have to get rid of her. I love her to death! She cuddles with me every time I hold her. My EE is cute but anti-social. Whenever my hand gets within striking distance she nips at my finger and it hurts! She also beat up my little barred rock to the point where the poor thing was bleeding from under her nose and I had to separate them. I was about to get rid of her I was so angry.​

Back
Top Bottom