Barred rock chicken...hen or rooster??

robinef

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
Hi everyone! We are new to the chicken arena, but having so much fun with our kiddos :) A couple of months ago, my fiance brought home two chicks from a coworker's farm..they were probably a few weeks old at the time. We had no clue about the sex (or breed!) for awhile. We're thinking they are barred yard, but certainly could be something else. One was definitely larger, with a more notable tail feather pattern. However, it was (and still is) the "follower" of the two... very docile, the second to leave the run, the second to eat/drink, and always runs to catch up with its sibling when the other one is scoping out a new part of the yard. Now, the two look very very similar. The tail feathers are a little bit lighter, and it has a weird, puffy feather-cheek thing happening. We always thought there was a chance it'd be a rooster just because it was larger initially. This morning, I heard a definite crow come from that chicken around 7 am a handful of times when I was walking up to let them out of the pen. I could be wrong, but it might've been when a choral of dogs started barking. We live in a neighborhood with lots of animals. Again, we're really not sure on age, guessing about 3 months now? I'll attach some pictures. Is it too early to know for sure? Any chance she's a hen?? And if not, what do we do? We want to keep it, but definitely don't want fertilized eggs, and also city ordinances are obviously in place against roosters. Also, we don't want to leave our hen alone without another chicken, but I'm afraid she will beat up on any new chicks we introduce.

Thank you!!

Barring is different in each gender. Photos of one of my barred rock pullets and cockerel below for an example..

That being said, it looks like your birds are mixed. Looks like they have beard and 'tufts' - so possibly some sort of easter egger mix? From the barring, they look like pullets to me, but their mixed heritage could be playing tricks there...

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I'm also seeing cockerels.

Yes we got some more crowing this morning, I think it's a done deal. Just throwing this question out there.... We know the two are siblings. If the other one is a hen, is there any chance they won't partner up with each other? I'm not sure if incest works the same way in the animal world as the people world, but we just love them and hate to get rid of either one!!! Also, anyone have any experience with the no crow collar? Is it terribly awful?

Post a pic of the other bird, but it looks like a cockerel also from what I can see.

If you do have a pair (one male, one female), they may be able to live together, or he may horribly overmate her. It's one of those "try it and see how your particular animals do" kind of things.

If you have two cockerels, they can live together quite well. With no ladies to compete for, guys just hang out and have a pretty good life for the most part. It's if/when you want to get hens that things could get interesting. There could be massive fighting over the ladies, or there could be pretty much no drama and everyone lives happily ever after.

Back
Top Bottom