Barred Rock chicks

ICB42

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
Hello!! So we got some baby barred rock chicks they are 7 weeks old and one of them appears to be sleeping... I'm not sure though. When we put food and water in front of her she drank the water and ate a little food, but she's away from the rest of her little flock, so I'm not sure how to tell if she's just sleeping or sick..

My hubby just took her out of the area we have her in and she just sat there and he tried to get her to move and she kind of fell on her side a little bit... I don't think she's gonna make it :/

They are 7 weeks and she ended up dying :/ they were in the house because we had to finish a few things on their coop. They are eating purina start and grow and they have a whole room to themselves! So sad but it happens :/

It's not uncommon for day-olds to fail to thrive due to a lot of different reasons, but rarely seven-week olds. I would NOT just chalk it up to "it happens".

When you have a chick die at seven weeks, it could be disease and you need to determine what it is or it might sicken the others.

The first thing you need to do is inquire at the place you got these chicks. If you just got them, find out if any chicks were showing signs of illness before they came to you. Find out how they were cared for, vaccinations if any.

If you have the means, chill the body and find a place to do a necropsy. They will be able to tell you what killed the chick so you can prevent the loss of the rest.

I'm going to call the lady we bought them from, I think it was the one who seemed a little off when we got her.

Back
Top Bottom