Barred Rock genders? updated - 5 weeks

MaineiacJay

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
i picked up some barred rock chicks straight run and a chick from the "assorted bantams" bin. i was aiming for mostly girls on the barred rock, but a roo wouldnt be a bad thing since im dabbling in incubating. they are 3 weeks old now.

i heard barred rock can be sexed by the spot on their head, so here is a picture of the tops of their heads the day they came home. i tried reading up on that, but it was kind of a last minute decision to get them so i had like, 5 minutes to compare and then hunt the best looking ones down in the bin so im not confident really...

and some not so great photos of them now. terrible lighting in this room and the lamp was throwing the camera off, i apologize.

chick #1.

chick #2.

chick #3.

chick #4.

and the little banty. it looks like a silkie or silkie mix. black skin, 5 toes and feathering feet. my hubby wanted it so we got it. dont really care since its not for breeding or showing or anything, just curious if anyone knows what breed/mix or the gender.

thanks everyone, and sorry again for the poor quality photos!

Last edited:
i picked up some barred rock chicks straight run and a chick from the "assorted bantams" bin. i was aiming for mostly girls on the barred rock, but a roo wouldnt be a bad thing since im dabbling in incubating. they are 3 weeks old now. i heard barred rock can be sexed by the spot on their head, so here is a picture of the tops of their heads the day they came home. i tried reading up on that, but it was kind of a last minute decision to get them so i had like, 5 minutes to compare and then hunt the best looking ones down in the bin so im not confident really... and some not so great photos of them now. terrible lighting in this room and the lamp was throwing the camera off, i apologize. chick #1. chick #2. chick #3. chick #4. and the little banty. it looks like a silkie or silkie mix. black skin, 5 toes and feathering feet. my hubby wanted it so we got it. dont really care since its not for breeding or showing or anything, just curious if anyone knows what breed/mix or the gender. thanks everyone, and sorry again for the poor quality photos! They all look like pullets, but number 1 is growing wattles out pretty quick compared to the others. The silkies are pure just hatchery quality. Hope that helps some.

I think you may possibly have all males. :/

Definitely number one BR is male, numbers two and three may be pullets, but number 4 and the silkie also look male to me. That's a lot of crest for 3 week-olds though. But some breeds are like that and I'm more experienced with mongrels and mixes than I am with purebreds.

Best wishes with them.

here are some updated photos, was wondering if anyone has any more to offer on the gender of these guys? im pretty sure at least one is a roo, but im hoping i didnt get all roos =/ please someone tell me i didnt get all roos! lol 1 roo is ok, 4 roos are NOT!

5 weeks now

and the banty

:/ I'm sorry but they all look male to me.

I would have expected more crest development on the BRs but that's such a highly variable thing, and they're all looking more male than female. The Banty appears male too, that's a lot of crest and wattle for such a young Silkie/mix or whatever it is. The two bottom BRs are definitely male, no doubt about it, and the top two look most probably male too.

But, it's no guarantee, those other two BRs might be hens... One can hope. ;)

Best wishes.

:/ I'm sorry but they all look male to me.

I would have expected more crest development on the BRs but that's such a highly variable thing, and they're all looking more male than female. The Banty appears male too, that's a lot of crest and wattle for such a young Silkie/mix or whatever it is. The two bottom BRs are definitely male, no doubt about it, and the top two look most probably male too.

But, it's no guarantee, those other two BRs might be hens... One can hope. ;)

Best wishes.
x2

Back
Top Bottom