Barred Rock Hen or Roo?

Dogg014

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
Hello BYC members! I've been a lurker on here for years and finally figured it was time to join! For the last 3+ years I've had a small flock made up of 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Barred Rock. Unfortunately over the winter we lost one of our Buffs so this spring I decided to add a couple more to the flock. Long story short I ended up with a RIR pullet and another Barred Rock chick, both about 12 weeks old right now. The RIR was already sexed, but the Barred was not, so I'm turning to the experts! The Barred I already had in my flock I got when it was 6 months old, so I don't really have a reference point. I've attached some pics below. The small comb and wattles and grayish on the front of the legs has me believing hen, but I know that's not always a sure-fire way of telling.

Also, any tips on integrating the 2 old birds with the new ones? Right now I have the 2 young ones in a dog crate next to the big chickens' coop so they can get to "know" each other. I do let them out to free-range together for short periods of time and anytime the older chickens see the young ones, it's full-on attack mode (particularly the older barred rock which surprised me, she was always the docile one!).

Thanks!

JD

2 Pullets I see a Barred Rock and A Red Sexlink
smile.png

2 Pullets I see a Barred Rock and A Red Sexlink
smile.png
Thanks! Glad she's a she! My city doesn't allow roos. Any tips on merging the two flocks with as little violence as possible? I know they need to establish their pecking order, but I'd hate to see some kind of death match when I put them together in the coop, because I'm pretty sure that'd happen if I did that now.

try letting them be near each other so they can see everyone (pens side by side) and when you move them in to the pen with the older birds, do it at night (put them on the rooster beside the older ones)

Back
Top Bottom