Barred Rock Hen or Roo?

What does it's saddle feathers look like? If they are pointy on the ends then it's a roo. If they are round then it's a hen. Two of my EEs have turned out to be Roos. They are 12 weeks old and their saddle feathers are long and pointy and fall to the sides below the tail.

You don't know old this bird is but after raising about 100 or more of them, I'd say you have a Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel. Something about the way the legs are so long and the body sits up there like on stilts, like most young cockerels. And the coloring is lighter than 95% of BR pullets. The legs are yellow, or maybe it's my monitor, but just not bright yellow. They are not the white of a Cuckoo Marans and the barring is crisper than a CM would have, or it seems so to me. Sometimes when you cross the two you get that middle of the road leg color and sometimes hatchery stock had bad leg color, too.

If you check out this thread of mine, it follows one Barred Rock cockerel from chickhood to young adulthood and you'll see how the saddle feathers come out as skinny, iridescent fringe in front of the tail area. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...from-a-breeder-without-the-heart-of-a-breeder

Hey, Tricia, I do see what you mean about the head shape, though. If it was older, I'd say it looked more pullet-like, but it gives the vibe of a young bird and with those huge comb/wattles and the cockerel coloring, I'd have to call cockerel. Some of them are darn confusing!

Last edited:
I'm also leaning toward cockerel, and it could be not a pure barred bird, giving it the darker appearance. Could also account for the lighter leg coloring. It will be interesting to see it in a month or so!

Back
Top Bottom