Barred Rock hen?

ok, she just bit me on the leg again! that is the second time today. before she has nipped at my hands but today she was following me around aggressively in the yard and then just reaches out and bites me! has anyone else had this with a hen? maybe i should ask in another forum? yikes.

Well, I have a toe nibbler and foot pecker that is named Little Justin because she fooled us for so long, but she's definitely a hen, and I think you've got a gal there too. Barred rocks, gotta love 'em. BTW, after a couple of shoves back with my foot, (gently), she ended up being the sweetest hen in the coop. And there are a LOT of hens in the coop.
tongue.png

That's definitely a pretty Dominique hen. I have a Dominique rooster and I can compare the pics together and definitely see differences and mine is a little older than 16 weeks too.

Here's a pic:
(you can also see my leghorn rooster...they both live happily...they've been together since hatch lings)

mail

Sorry for the sideways pic...

My BR hens look like that too. Great layers, very tame. Your silly hen - maybe she's picking the mosquitoes off your legs! (mine do that) When I'm sitting outside enjoying my hens, and a mosquito lands, I just tap my leg with a finger near the bug and one of my hens comes over and picks it off! Never pinch my skin either - they're so cute!

They were all being feisty today, I think they are trying out their pecking order and want to see where I fit in;) They have always been so sweet and tame and this definitely wasn't a friendly peck like before. She was agressively following me while I worked in the yard and then bit me twice when I didn't expect it.. hard. One broke the skin and the other bruised! I read that you have to show dominance in another forum and I tried some of the suggestions when I went out again to feed them and it seemed to help. She is definitely the Alpha female right now with the other hens and I guess she is trying to prove it! Hopefully it is just a rough patch because she has definitely never been like that before. I have one other really feisty girl... one very skittish girl, and the rest are like little puppies following me around:)

You definitely cannot go by color, I have 5 BR, 3 are pullets 2 are cockerels but the color range in the pullets is 2 light and 1 dark. The Cockerels are 1 light , 1 dark.

Back
Top Bottom