Barred Rock hen?

If it's really 16 weeks old, I would say roo. My 20 week old barred rock pullet doesn't have nearly that large comb or wattle or that much color in her face.

Hen. I have BR's from 10 weeks to 2 years. Roo's have a fluffier tail and very yellow legs. All my hens have large combs and wattles, and pointy tails
wink.png
BTY, very nice looking hen. Mine are super egg producers. Lay practically every day even in this heat
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
hen...

68634_brsun.jpg

one of mine at about 18 weeks....now at 20, large red comb and laying eggs!

one of my roo: (same age)
yellow legs...

68634_br.jpg

**I say hen for you!

Last edited:
My barred rock girl has been noticably more aggressive than the other girls. Her comb was about that size at 16 weeks. She was always bigger, pecked some at me but eventually grew out of it. I had my doubts early on. But now she's just a big sweetheart.

Ok, that is a hen. NO question whatsoever. Yes, she is lighter than most BR hens, but that does happen occasionally. My very own beloved Lexie who recently passed looked just like her and as a youngster, had everyone fooled.

Trust me, that is a BR hen. No stringy saddle feathers, no honking huge comb of a rooster, round shape of a pullet, etc. It's not just color.

Here is a picture of Lexie, who fooled many experts on BYC years ago as a young pullet. Sometimes, they don't follow the rules, folks:

DSCN0527.jpg

Oh, she does look a lot like Lexie! Thanks everyone for your nice comments and for posting pics. She has always been very pretty with nice markings and I will be glad to keep her. Hopefully she will stop nipping at me. So far out of 8 chickens they all seem to be hens. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom