Barred Rock - Please Tell Me She's Not a He?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenbeandreams, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Serena is almost 10 weeks old. We've assumed all along she's a she and purchased her from a feed store at 96% likelihood hen. She's very sweet and docile. No roo vibe but there's something about the comb and maybe the back feathers? What do you experts think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Looks like a girl to me.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I think you have yourself a pullet/hen. The comb looks "girle" to me and so do the tail feathers. At 10 weeks, I would expect to see alote more redness in the comb. "She" is also darker than a roo normally is. I hope I am right and I am sure there will be more opinions.

[​IMG] for a girl!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

I'm voting pullet. [​IMG] I don't see any stringy hackle feathers or saddle feathers coming in and the barring looks pullet to me to.

5. I would say pullet. She looks just like Bonita did when she was growing up [​IMG]

6. Oh thank goodness!! I'm a first time chicken mama and already ended up with 2 of our first 5 being roos. Didn't know if I could go for a 3rd. Thank you all![​IMG]

7. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Songster

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    For sure she's a she. Here are a couple of pictures of my Onyx:

7 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

8 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

My girls will be 9 weeks old on Monday.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I think she is a SHE

My Barred Rocks looked about the same and I have all pullets, and they are now all laying!

they are 30 weeks old tomorrow......lol

9. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    girl

10. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think pullet. She is a little dark to be a roo, and the comb isn't what I would expect of a roo, either.
    I think you have a nice little hen.

Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by