Barred Rock pulley or cockerel?

Trina Bambina

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
North Georgia

Thanks for the help!

That is a cockerel comb wattles the barring how the white is more prominent than the black legs look to be thick and yellow as when a females has more thinner legs and usually have some black going down them. Plus my Pablo looked like that a couple of months ago.

I find it quite easy to see the difference once their wing feathers start coming in. Here is a comparison. These are heritage Rocks.. They feather in so darn slow. You can even see the difference in the legs in the second picture.

They are either 13 or 14 weeks old, but not sure for certain as we got 4 one week and 8 the next week. All these BR came as packing peanuts with some banty BO, so I would expect them to all be boys, but was hoping I might get lucky and have a girl or two in there. There are two that have lighter combs (more pink than red) and they do not have the curved tail. I was also trying to check the saddle feathers to see if they are pointed...that is a big clue, right? I will see if I can get some better pics today.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
They are either 13 or 14 weeks old, but not sure for certain as we got 4 one week and 8 the next week. All these BR came as packing peanuts with some banty BO, so I would expect them to all be boys, but was hoping I might get lucky and have a girl or two in there. There are two that have lighter combs (more pink than red) and they do not have the curved tail. I was also trying to check the saddle feathers to see if they are pointed...that is a big clue, right? I will see if I can get some better pics today.

Thanks for your help!
Right now you likely can't go by saddle feathers or hackle feathers.

If they have wattles at this age, they are more than likely boys. That's leaving out the obvious colouring that is only seen in males.

Colour difference between male (front) and female (back)

Males have two copies of the barring gene, and the females only one.

What was the date you received the order?

Last edited:
This is a for sure rooster, right?

This one is 13 or 14 weeks, suspect it is a pullet..or maybe it is 'hope'!

Closeup of saddle feathers

Would also like help sexing these Ameracaunas...

The rocks look like boys, of the EEs the first two look like girls, the last boy.

The rocks look like boys, of the EEs the first two look like girls, the last boy.
Yep. This is spot on.

I'm as confident as I can possibly be on that.

Your two Easter Eggers #1 and #2 (hatcheries call them Americanas, but that's besides the point) are definitely girls. Easter Eggers are almost always sexlinked by colour.

Actually, a VERY easy way to show people sexing EE's by demonstrating with your pictured birds there is by color. EE's are very easily sexed by color, as most are actually sex-linked too.

Females in most cases come out a partridge looking brown and black, often known as wild-type duckwing. Some though are silver too, which is strictly black and white, sometimes with a salmon breast.

Males on the other hand are quite often black and white, but have colored red, orange, or yellow feathers that emerge on sometimes the neck, back, and most importantly and almost always the shoulders. These are tell-tail signs of a male, as females cannot have that color in those regions. Other male colors that are red flags are one coming out with a black breast and red markings on the shoulders, neck, and back.
smile.png

True saddle and hackle feathers actually come in much later, so judging by them is a hard thing to do, especially when someone is new with chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

Back
Top Bottom