Barred Rock roo or hen?

Attachments

• A+ Gallery_7.jpg
    A+ Gallery_7.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 11
They we're 3 weeks old when l got them. Here's a pick of one same age with very small comb and darker.
See how this bird's pattern looks more black and white and the first looks more grey and white/lighter overall? Female barred rocks have one copy of the barring gene, males have two. Two copies of the gene result in wider white bars, giving the overall lighter appearance. If you see them side by side its generally quite noticeable
20170423_161447.jpg
it's actually one of the early clues to be used in sexing them.....this shows a pair at about 4 weeks...pullet in front, cockerel behind

Donny, I feel for you. I'm beginning to think at least two, maybe 3 of my 8 pullet chicks are cockerels. I realize some people love roos, but it is disappointing and frustrating for the rest of us.

Donny, I feel for you. I'm beginning to think at least two, maybe 3 of my 8 pullet chicks are cockerels. I realize some people love roos, but it is disappointing and frustrating for the rest of us.
I have 1 possibly 2 from a batch of 6. My neighbor has agreed to take one. I may keep the other if my splash Moran rooster will tolerate it. I have 11 hens, 1 rooster, and 1duck. 2 of the hens are 6 years old. I would like to keep a second rooster but l don't know if my hens to rooster ratio would work.

Back
Top Bottom