Barred Rock Rooster? Maybe!!!

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what a sexlink roo x with a barred rock hen would produce and if there was anyway to bring it back to pure barred again thanks. Mike

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what a sexlink roo x with a barred rock hen would produce and if there was anyway to bring it back to pure barred again thanks. Mike
I know the answer to this, I just have a hard time explaining it so bear with me.

I'm assuming you're starting with a black sex link rooster, correct? Not a red sex link. Okay.

Your bsl roo will give half barred chicks regardless of the mother. Your pure barred hen will give barring to her male offspring, none to her female.

All your cockerels will be barred. 50% will be "pure" barred, getting a barring gene from each parent. 50% will be basically bsl roosters--they'll get a barring gene from the hen, but not from the rooster.

50% of your pullets will be barred, getting a barring gene from the bsl rooster. 50% will be basically bsl pullets, mostly black with some reddish leakage.

If you take your barred pullets and put them back under your pure/double barred rooster, you should be back to pure barred birds.

Does that make sense?

Yes good job explaining it that's kind of what I though but wasn't 100% sure,unfortunately I got burned on a rooster that was supposed too be pure barred rock and ended up with a bsl.I couldn't tell the difference,when I got him he was young he is so gentle and well behaved and hardly ever crows I didn't really want to get rid of him.I wanted to be sure before I bred him one more thing just to be sure would I then take one of his offspring males and breed it back to his mother or sisters to insure that it pure again and thanks for the help.

Could I also get some oppinions . I'm here and lake city,fl a small not tiny city for college fb fans this is where Timmy Jernigan,laremy tunsil and trey Marshall ( think that was the fsu db ) come from . I had a br rooster who is the father of my 15 incubating eggs

Back
Top Bottom