Barred Rock rooster or hen

Yup, rooster, but not a Barred Rock. It's a mix, maybe sex link of some sort, but you see the white legs? BRs have yellow. And he has a black tail feather in there, not a BR trait, though I had one "pure" BR rooster who did develop a plain black tail feather once-he came out of hatchery parents I owned.

Yup, rooster, but not a Barred Rock. It's a mix, maybe sex link of some sort, but you see the white legs? BRs have yellow. And he has a black tail feather in there, not a BR trait, though I had one "pure" BR rooster who did develop a plain black tail feather once-he came out of hatchery parents I owned.

I had a BR roo and he had a tail like that and had yellow feet?

chickenboy190, as far as yours goes, could be he was a black sex link rooster, which are often mistaken for pure BRs since they look identical at hatch. Lots of mixups at feed stores and in hatchery shipments of those two.

See this male? See his 1/2 black tail feather? He is only 1/2 BR, though he looks better than many so-called pure BRs from hatcheries. His sire is a full Delaware, his mother pure BR, both from good breeder lines. Though his barring is stupendous for a cross, there are a couple of clues that he is not pure BR, the tail feather that is partially black as well as the hackles near the top of the head that are a bit too much on the silvery side for a pure BR.

Last edited:
Thats a rooster, as I see a sickle feather in the tail. However, he is not a Barred Rock. Barred Rocks have yellow legs, while he has white ones. He is likely a mix, as his barring doesn't quite look like the Cuckoo color pattern, which would have made him a possible Cuckoo Marans.

chickenboy190, as far as yours goes, could be he was a black sex link rooster, which are often mistaken for pure BRs since they look identical at hatch. Lots of mixups at feed stores and in hatchery shipments of those two.

See this male? See his 1/2 black tail feather? He is only 1/2 BR, though he looks better than many so-called pure BRs from hatcheries. His sire is a full Delaware, his mother pure BR, both from good breeder lines. Though his barring is stupendous for a cross, there are a couple of clues that he is not pure BR, the tail feather that is partially black as well as the hackles near the top of the head that are a bit too much on the silvery side for a pure BR.

If I could get a pic I would but he just died.

If I could get a pic I would but he just died.
aww, sorry about your rooster
hugs.gif

Thats a rooster, as I see a sickle feather in the tail. However, he is not a Barred Rock. Barred Rocks have yellow legs, while he has white ones. He is likely a mix, as his barring doesn't quite look like the Cuckoo color pattern, which would have made him a possible Cuckoo Marans.

X2

Back
Top Bottom