Barred rock Sex link hen laying double yolkers

linz44

Chirping
Apr 12, 2015
My 2 year old Barred Rock sex link hen lays big eggs normally and about 1 once a week or once every 2 weeks she lays a huge double yolk egg. Is there a reason for this? She is a big hen and beautiful and healthly. She has never had any health issues and has been a perfect hen. I'm concerned and curious as to why she is doing this. None of my other hens have ever laid one. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Active layers always have a number of yolks in their ovaries, slowing maturing until they are ready to be realised and form part of an egg. Occasionally, especially with young layers, their ovaries release two or more yolks at the same time. The cause for this is unknown, but most likely hormonal.

If you're interested, there is a short description of the egg formation process and a link to a virtual "tour" of the egg here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Thank you! Every time she lays one I'm amazed at the size of it! I have seen double yolk eggs from other chickens but her doubles are massive! Can't they get stuck or hurt them when they have ones so big? Its amazing how one so wide and tall can fit out!

Back
Top Bottom