Rooster in nesting box

FarmerMom83

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Ok so I have a hen that just started to lay eggs 2 days ago. She has only laid 1 egg so far (it was a double yolker) but my rooster is laying on top of her in the nesting box. Is this normal?

did you ever find out. my rooster uno was in the nesting boxes this past summer and i was concerned but since i havent seen him in there i wasnt sure what he was doing it was silly behavior
So I just posted this question. I haven't found out yet. I've read where the rooster could be in the nesting box by himself to show the hens that it's a place to lay eggs and it's safe but I haven't seen anywhere what it means if he is literally on top of the hen both being in the nesting box

So I just posted this question. I haven't found out yet. I've read where the rooster could be in the nesting box by himself to show the hens that it's a place to lay eggs and it's safe but I haven't seen anywhere what it means if he is literally on top of the hen both being in the nesting box

I've seen this behavior when hens lay in a nest outon the property for the first time, or if for some reason they can't get to their nest. The male will stand guard

Back
Top Bottom