barred rock still not laying...........she did today!!!

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
I have several hens one in particular is my barred rock who has had a huge red comb and wattles for over a month, she's constantly talking and still has not layed an egg. I know because we only have green eggs so far. They are all 22 weeks. The green egg layer (not sure who yet) has been laying since 20 weeks. What is my BR's deal?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Our BR is 26 weeks and still hasn't laid an egg...guess she is a late bloomer
hmm.png
Our Production Red started at 24 weeks, and one of our two New Hampshires started the following week...just have to be patient I guess!
hu.gif

I am new to chickens, but the general information I read in preparation said that 6 months is an average start of lay, so that is a reasonable expectation. But some will fall before that age and some after, which is normal.

I read also that the heritage breeds tend to start later, tend to have fewer reproductive problems, and tend to lay longer. So starting a bit later may be A Good Thing. That said, my BRs started at 19-20 wks and now their eggs are getting huge!
wink.png

I have 3 BR's and two of them started laying in July, one still isn't laying and still hasn't developed any wattles or comb and is 27 weeks old, maybe I got a dud. lol

Lighter breeds lay sooner. Barred rocks are a dual purpose breed. They have to put on a little flesh first and fill out. Put your fingers between her pelvic bones. If you can fit two fingers there, her body's almost ready to lay. You can also check her vent. If it's puckered and dry... not ready.

My EEs started laying at 5.5 months. The wyandottes around 7.

I'm also waiting, trying to be patient but can't help being somewhat impatient, just excited I think. My BR, BO and RIR are just shy of 21 weeks old, and I think it's probably too early to be hoping they'll go anytime soon. I'm really ok with that, says the rational me.

"A watched pot never boils", as my mother would say.

Back
Top Bottom