Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
Entered my prize rooster, Rooster Cogburn in our local county fair today. First time taking a chicken to the fair. I guess it was fun, I am not sure just what to make of some chicken folks. Anyway I went over and looked at the nice trophies they have for the chickens. I picked out a nice tall one that I hope to claim as my own on the morrow. Win, lose or draw the grandkids think it is cool and that means that so do I. I still think that the Barred Rocks are one nice looking bird.

RC is about 20 weeks old in this recent photograph. Wish him well in his first bird show.

Best to all of you whom love them Barred Rocks,

RJ

How did the fair go??? He is a gorgeous boy. I have 11 barred rocks, but they are all girls. Would love to get me a fine looking bird like yours so I could make some pretty babies. Right now I am going to be putting a few with my Black Austrolorp Rooster to make black sex-links.

Well, Roster Cogburn did ok I guess. I entered him as a cockerel, but somehow he got judged as a cock. He was some smaller than the first place cock, but he had at least 52 weeks on him, over RC. So I guess it is ok, but I have to wonder how and or why he was moved up a class.

Anyway it was an ok experience all in all. Thanks for the kinds words as well.

RJ

Had a bad experience with our 3 month old Barred Rock pullet named Malibu this weekend. (She's named Malibu because we got her from a nice store called Malibu Feed Bin where they have great chickens for sale)

When we got her, she was one month younger and therefore smaller than the two red sex link pullets we already had. She was immediately bossy, but never aggressive toward her bigger 'sisters'. The three of them have always gotten along. Never any pecking. Malibu always lets us touch her and pet her. She's more docile than the red sex link pullets.

Then we got two buff orpingtons, who we have kept in a separate coop because we were worried about them being pecked. They had some old pecking wounds on them when we got them from the feed store. The buffs are about a month younger than our barred rock Malibu, and they have never been together with Malibu.

For the first time, we tried free ranging Malibu and the two buffs together in our backyard this weekend, and as soon as Malibu could, she attacked the buffs like she wanted to kill them. I immediately pulled Malibu off the buffs (incurring a nice gash on my hand - need to wear gloves next time!).

I know there are a lot of variables here (age difference, established pecking order, etc.), but has anyone else had 'bad blood' between their barred rock hens and buff orpington hens?

My hen is sitting on 8 Barred Rock eggs at the moment! Expecting them to hatch around the 30th of August. Will post photos when they arrive! I'm so excited :D

Good luck with your hatch, keeping my fingers crossed for you to have a good one!!!
fl.gif
I have 18 in the incubator,( not bars though) going to hatch on the 23rd. Still waiting on my girls to start laying. They are almost 5 months old so they should start laying anytime.

Had a bad experience with our 3 month old Barred Rock pullet named Malibu this weekend. (She's named Malibu because we got her from a nice store called Malibu Feed Bin where they have great chickens for sale)

When we got her, she was one month younger and therefore smaller than the two red sex link pullets we already had.  She was immediately bossy, but never aggressive toward her bigger 'sisters'.  The three of them have always gotten along.  Never any pecking. Malibu always lets us touch her and pet her.  She's more docile than the red sex link pullets.

Then we got two buff orpingtons, who we have kept in a separate coop because we were worried about them being pecked.  They had some old pecking wounds on them when we got them from the feed store.  The buffs are about a month younger than our barred rock Malibu, and they have never been together with Malibu.

For the first time, we tried free ranging Malibu and the two buffs together in our backyard this weekend, and as soon as Malibu could, she attacked the buffs like she wanted to kill them.  I immediately pulled Malibu off the buffs (incurring a nice gash on my hand - need to wear gloves next time!).

I know there are a lot of variables here (age difference, established pecking order, etc.), but has anyone else had 'bad blood' between their barred rock hens and buff orpington hens?
:( I'm sorry this happened! I have read that orpingtons typically end up at the bottom of the pecking order...I hope they weren't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom