Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
As a new chicken mom, I am happy to have found the Barred Rock thread. We have 3 BRs and 3 EEs. The BRs are definitely our favorites as they are so friendly and affectionate. We never expected to enjoy our ladies this much!

I'm new to barred rocks also. I love them too. I have two but one of them is definitely the leader and she always let's me pet her chest and under her beak. So cute. Now just waiting for them to start laying in August. :)

Yes, it is normal - some turn red earlier than others. Our 4 BR pullets started to lay at 20 weeks, within a week from each other. But their faces turned red at different times. I think they are capable of laying earlier than 20 weeks, but ours had lots of stress coming from 7 young roosters that were not separated, and they had some heat stress for a few weeks. When that ended, they started laying, and one of them never skipped a day since :)  The other 3 are laying 5-6 eggs per week.

Sorry I missed your reply somehow. Thank you. I was hoping pullet but she just looks so different from my other BR. I can't wait for the first eggs. Sometime in August.

My little sisters barred rock, Lily, layed at eggsactly 16 weeks

Wow. That would be awesome. Mine is about 13 weeks. One is turning red and growing her comb and wattles now.

I have 23 BRs that r pulleys and 2 cockarls that r 7 weeks today all r ski dish have not had a lot of time to handle them along with the 25 RIRs that I have all at seven weeks

I have only had one bullet that laid early and that was a white leg horn mix that I have and she laid at 17 weeks. I think that is something that leghorns do is lay early

Last edited:
I have three barred rock and the first one that I had laid at five months or little over and now the last two that I have had or have rather laid their first eggs in the 20th week so I think 16 weeks was just lucky or else mine just laid later

I have a barred rock pullet named Dottie. She is 8 weeks old today. She is one of my favorite chickens because she is the most friendly. We bought her from a hatchery in the assorted rare breeds pack. I always liked the barred rock but never got any. She was raised in a classroom at a school for 2 weeks until the teacher sent her home with us because she kept jumping out of the brooder! She came home from the school with 7 other chicks of assorted breeds and grew up with them and 7 other chicks we had been raising at home. She was friendly right from the very start. She would come into your hands as a day old chick and when she learned to fly, she flew into them. Now she flies from the ground onto my head and falls asleep on it!

This is her at about 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom