Barred Rock?

Ylee

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
White Settlement, Texas
I have a couple of chickens that I was told were barred rock, but I am unsure. They seem to be all black. They are only 6 weeks old, but I would have expected them to be barred already like the Dominique I have.

This is the 2-3 week old picture. They are in with the Easter Eggers. I bought the chicks from a woman who had many different types of chickens so they might not be barred rock but I have no idea what they might be if they aren't.

20120502_205939.jpg

And these are the more recent pictures. I'm talking about the solid black bird standing next to the Dominique.
600x450px-LL-e244ce39_IMG_0090.jpeg

I am mainly curious as to when to expect them to get the barring since they have already have feathers. All the adolescent pictures I have seen are barred so I thought I would ask and see if y'all could point me in the right direction as to when they should get their barring or what they might be if not. Thanks! I can try to post other pictures later if necessary, but these are the ones I have at work.

Black sex links (at least all 5 of mine have yellow feet.) The chicks are black, but when they are adults they are black with varying amount of golden hackles.

Very cool, thank you for the posts, this explains a lot. Plus since my goal was to have just hens, that works out in my favor. I think 3 of my 4 Dominique are males, so at least with these I know they are female.

Barred Rock chicks have a yellow dot on their head. I also think these may be sex-links.
The dot is usually white
_MG_7939.jpg
Never had a yellow dotted one :p Could be something else, but if the breeder thought they were barred rocks.. It just sounds like they came from eggs laid by her barred rocks, which would lead me to think they are Black Sex Linked.

From your description of getting them from someone with lots of different chickens, I believe it's likely they are barnyard mixes sired by a black rooster. If she bought from a hatchery or feed store and is reselling part of her purchase, I'd guess Australorp.

The dot is usually white
_MG_7939.jpg

Never had a yellow dotted one
tongue.png

Could be something else, but if the breeder thought they were barred rocks.. It just sounds like they came from eggs laid by her barred rocks, which would lead me to think they are Black Sex Linked.
Oh, yea, I guess you are right. Still not quite awake this morning. I should have just said dot and I would have been safe.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom