Barred Rocks Now with pictures what are we

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Got two barred rock chicks today...is there anyway to determine their sex?? Thanks alot!
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    There is with BRs...I believe pullets have a white spot on their heads...maybe someone will answer this for sure....congrats on the new chicks!

3. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    from what i've heard the pullets have a more circular dot on their heads, and the cockerels just have some white splotchies atop their heads. and the females have darker legs than the males.

i only have one barred rock, so i'm sure there's more to it. i don't have a ton of experience with them.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well i dont think they are a feather sexed bird but every time i have it seems to work. but a cockerals wing feathers will be sorta even and the the pullets wing feathers will sorta be long feather short feather and so on basicly in the primaries. like i said before i dont think barred rocks are that type of breed. got any pictures? lol

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Why don't you type that in as a search.....sexing barrred rock chicks? I think it is the spot on the head that means roo. I only say that because my grandaughter picked out two that both had spots on their head...named one Patches because of it and both ended up roosters. But I did read later that was a way to sex them....the spot.

6. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    It's not completely accurate but Pullets are darker then males and get their feathers faster then males. They may also have a dark wash down their legs that the males get less often. The dot, I think, is supposed to be well defined.

Males are lighter, grow slower, and get a pink comb at 3-4 weeks.

Hope it helps,

7. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    yeah, looks like 1 is probs a girl, and 2 is probs a boy.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I agree:

#1 has a clearly defined head spot and the dark wash down her legs

#2 - splotchy head spot/s, no dark wash on the legs, and way too much white in the feathering for a pullet

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi

#2 - splotchy head spot/s, no dark wash on the legs, and way too much white in the feathering for a pullet

Agree

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

Agree

x4

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by